Ignition Switch Wiring

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1972 luhrs 28' flybridge boat that I am restoring as a project. I'm up to the point of wiring the ignition switch and I'm having some trouble finding out what kind of switch I need and how to wire it. I have had the motor crank by twisting two white wires that came from the neutral safety switch on the trans together, with a purple wire from the starter solenoid and the red-hot wire from the battery. With this information can anyone tell me what kind of ignition switch I would need and how to wire it on the correct positions?
Please Help! Thanks!

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Ignition Switch Wiring

Hi there, readly available at any napa, farm & tractor supply a replacement switch can be found, for around $15.00 if you are hot wiring it to start than you will easily be able to figure out the common for the hot, run to the on position, and start to the solenoid wire. get your volt ohm meter ready you will be fine.. manuals are downloadable in the DIYS section have fun

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, I'm not sure what this situation calls for, a 3 or 5 position, and also where the neutral safety wires from the trany go, What terminals on the ignition switch the neutral safety wires go?

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

purple wire from solenoid to a wire on neutal switch, from the other wire on neutal switch to the S connection on Ing. switch.......... like the other post stated if you been starting by twisting wires togehter,,, you can do this

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

Ok Great, I have an ignition switch here in front of me, it has three positions on the back: Bat, Sol, Ign. I figured the bat terminal connects to the the hot line from the battery, the sol, i think is the purple line from the solenoid on the starter(also attached to one of the neutral safety wires) and the ign position i don't know where that would attach to, besides the other neutral safety wire. Can anyone confirm this and fill in the missing blanks? Thanks Again!

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Great, I have an ignition switch here in front of me, it has three positions on the back: Bat, Sol, Ign. I figured the bat terminal connects to the the hot line from the battery, the sol, i think is the purple line from the solenoid on the starter(also attached to one of the neutral safety wires) and the ign position i don't know where that would attach to, besides the other neutral safety wire. Can anyone confirm this and fill in the missing blanks? Thanks Again!

U want the other neutral safety wire connected to the Sol, they are usually yellow/red stripe?
Find the wire that feeds your gauges+sliced, that's your ignition wire(usually purple).