ignition switch wiring codes

jec1970

Cadet
does anyone have the wiring color codes coming into the ignition switch for an early 90,s model Javelin boat?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: ignition switch wiring codes

What's the year and hp of the engine?

jec1970

Cadet

1990 johnson 120 hp--the maunual only shows 3 wires going to ignition--there is 7 i disconnected from old ignition--purple, purple/white, 2 black, yellow/red, black/yellow, red/white

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

One black should go to control case ground and the other black to one of the "M" terminal of the switch. The black w/yellow stripe goes to the other "M" terminal.<br /><br />Yellow w/red stripe to the "S" terminal. Start or solenoid.<br /><br />Purple w/white stripe to the "C" terminal...choke.<br /><br />Purple wire goes to the "A" terminal. Ignition terminal....feeds accessories.<br /><br />Red w/white stripe goes to the "B" terminal. Battery.

jec1970

Cadet

where and what is the control case ground?

jec1970

Cadet

does it matter which "M" terminal i connect the black and black/yellow wires to?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The control box case ground is simply a place to connect grounds....instead of putting all grounds on the ignition switch terminal. Usually, one "M" terminal is a "post" with a screw. The Black w/yellow stripe would go here but it really dosen't matter to which "M" terminal you use. Just keep the black w/yellow stripe by itself on an "M" terminal. The black w/yellow stripe grounds out the power pack to stop the engine. So don't put it with a black (ground) wire.

jec1970

Cadet

thanks for the help--fixin to go try it out

jec1970

Cadet

is there another fuse box besides the one behind the steering wheel? i may blown a fuse and all 8 of the fuses in the box i found are ok

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Check the fuse on the engine. It'll be mounted on the wireing harness....easy to see. Without this fuse, you get no current to the ignition switch.