ignition switch 94 chevy

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice
Has any one replaced an ignition switch in a 94 chevy pickup? I am not real sure how to get the steering wheel off. any help would be appreciated.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: ignition switch 94 chevy

Pop the plastic (horn button) off.. pry it up with a screwdriver.. Disconnect the wire for the horn button..<br /><br />Loosen the nut... <br /><br />Before you pull the wheel off, make a mark on the wheel and the shaft, so that the wheel will be aligned when you put it back on..... <br /><br /> Sometimes the wheel will come right off (not likely), other times not.. A steering wheel puller will most likely be necessary..<br /><br />Beyond this point it gets somewhat involved.. I'd highly advise you have a service manual for reference...<br /><br />Once you have the wheel off, you need a special tool to push in the locking plate so you can get the retaining clip out to gain access to the turn signal switch and the ignition switch.. The tool threads onto the shaft..<br /><br />things ya need.<br />#1 new ignition switch.<br />#2 service manual. (Haynes is good)<br />#3 steering wheel puller.<br />#4 tool to press the locking plate.<br />#5 a shady place to sit and cuss about it..<br /> :)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Just so ya know..... The ignition switch is NOT the part with the key. The I.S. is located on the lower part of the column. The part with the key is called a lock cylinder. Makes ya feel funny when ya buy the wrong part.

dolluper

Captain

Ignition switch as Ken says is on lower column<br />removal of switch<br />take off dash cover below column<br />loosen column support nuts a couple off turns 11/16 or 15mm<br />feel on top of column for gear pointer [wire clip] and take off column marking position<br />now continue to loosen c/bracket nuts fully<br />you can see the switch on top off column now<br />remove attachment screw or screws pull out linkage note which hole in switch it's in unplug from harness<br />install new switch to harness put linkage in and tighten screw to column, slide so linkage is snug finish tightening<br />push column up to bracket studs ,put nuts on loose clip pointerwire back on column on same position as marked tighten everything up <br />dash piece back on

rattana

Chief Petty Officer

Follow the manufacturers procedures if your vehicle has an airbag. ;)

D Grass

Seaman Apprentice

I got it changed out. thanks for all of the advice. It was the lock cylinder that needed replacement as I couldn't get the key out of the old one. Thanks again for all the help