Ignition question

Rolson1

Cadet
Ok I had purchased a Ignition and was wondering if this will work on my boat Part # Johnson / Evinrude Style
Ignition Switch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derlin body with "push-to-choke" feature
3 positions: Off - Ignition - Start
6 screw terminals
Special weather-proofing seal and drain hole
Rated 20 Amps @ 12 Volts
Accommodates panels up to 1/4" thick
Mounting bushing: 1/2" Long, 13/16" Diameter
Replaces Johnson / Evinrude #s: 388173, 390129, 390133, 393301

will this work ?? My motor is a 69 85hp johnson Hydroelectric drive model #85ESL69M

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition question

i don't see why not. jsut get the wires in the correct postion.

Rolson1

Cadet

Ok Where do I start:0 I went ahead and tried to install the new ignition but having some problems on this end. The old ignition switch had no choke or temp sen hooked up The new one has a choke in the switch which is nice

Ok the problem I am having is matching up the wires rite. I messed around with it for little over and hour and no luck so yeah come to the experts:)
Ok my old switch has 5 prongs on it with the letters M,B,M,S,A in the order going clock wise.

Now the new ignition has 6 prongs seems simple just match up the letters. did that no luck.
A,S, on the same terminal I,C,M,B,M

and here is my wiring that I took off the old switch
Red/white tracer (Has Power thats the only one)
Tan (was not hooked up)
Purple/green tracer into heatshrink and into brown wire. (coming from control box hooked up)
White 9hooked up
Purple/white tracer (not hooked up)
Purple (hooked up)

If any of you guys need pics of the old or new switch I can put them up if it will make it easier
Thanks much guys

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

be patient, hopefully the guys with real experience with the oldies will be around soon. i don't have wiring diagram for your vintage engine. older and newer, yes.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

1969 85Hp?

Red/wht to B
Purple/wht to C
White to S
Purple to I

Pur/grn (brown) to ? I think that's a tachometer signal? Or for Generator light?

The Ms are unused with amplified ignition.

A would be for an accessory you want to go on with the key like in a car. It wouldn't have anything from the motor.

Tan is the overheat signal. Purple to one side of a hot horn (or light) and tan to the other. Use the I terminal for this too.

Be EXTREEMLY careful connecting them correctly. One wrong move could blow your ignition amplifier.

On your new switch, the first letter corresponds to function...
Accessory - none (optional)
Battery - Red/Wht
Choke - Pur/Wht
Ignition - Pur
Magneto - none
Start - Wht

The differences with your old switch are the A & I are combined and it has no choke.

Rolson1

Cadet

Ok well that helped alot no problems hooked it up fired it up with no problem thanks so much for the help guys:)