Ignition problems on 1969 9.8hp merc

cottrell

Recruit
I purchased a used outboard and brought it home. It had not been used in several years, so i put some new<br />gas in the tank, dunked it in some water and low and behold it ran great. The only problem was that it <br />didnt have any water flow (no telltale) so I shut it down and pulled the lower unit and put in an impeller.<br />I re-assembled it and it wouldnt run. I checked the points, and they looked a little rough, so i filed them and reset them<br />put in new plugs and still no fire. I checked the plugs and there wasnt any spark. After working with it for a while<br />I decied that there is some spark, but not consistent, and not strong enough to jump the plug. I can get bit and i can get <br />an inductive pickup timing light to fire if I short the lead to ground.<br /><br />What I dont seem to be able to find is what the output of the stator is supposed to be. There is something there, but I dont know<br />if it is correct. Can anyone help me out on this one?<br /><br />Thanks

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ignition problems on 1969 9.8hp merc

Mercury wiring from that era is notorious for losing its insulation - I'd check the kill wires for grounding out on the block or armature plate. I'd also take a look at the condensers, also a week spot on those motors. New condensers are available and I'd replace them as a matter of course...<br />- Scott