IGNITION PROBLEMS FORD 460

FORMULA1

Cadet
Hello i have a 1974 sea ray sedan with a 460 engine. it turns over but does not turn on. there is fuel in the carb but it still does not turn on. engine turns over but not with alot of power. do i need to get bigger batterys with more cranking amps. right now i just have one 1000 crakcing amps battery. but it seems like it doesnt turn over fast enough. could there be a timing issue please let me know thank you x2703@aol.com

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: IGNITION PROBLEMS FORD 460

Willie, 3 things....You should post in the I/O repair forum, you will get a better response......2, Check for 12 volts at the + side of terminal with the key in the on position...Could be a bad wire/connection ign. switch.....3, check the condition of the battery cables & their connections..(BOTH ENDS).....If the battery cables get hot while cranking, I would replace them....You can find more info if you use the search function in the repairs forum....JK

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

With a 1000amps should spin right up, then again if you have an old prestolite start who knows. A thing I do to check starters quickly is to run a pair of jumper cables directly to the starter from the battery. If it spins up good, then I would check the solenoid(sp?), by bypassing the ign switch. Both very easy to do. Caution should be taken when doing this. I 2nd posting over in I/O repair

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just read your other post, if not sure about spark take a spark plug out and lay it against the block with the wire attached and have some one crank the engine, you should see it sparking.

FORMULA1

Cadet

THANKS WE FIGUERD OUT STARTER WAS GOING BAD AND FINALLY CLUNKED OUT AND THERE WAS A BROKEN SPARK PLUG. SHE RUNS NOW! THANKS AGAIN!