Ignition problem with my 45 HP Chrysler

Coddy

Cadet
I have an ignition problem with my 45 HP Chrysler (Model # 457HD, S/N 1960. I think it is a 1972 model).
The spark plug for the lower cylinder if firing just fine. The upper spark plug is not. I am sure that both coils are working just fine. I used an ohmmeter to check them out (both were okay) and I even swapped them. Either coil works fine in the lower cylinder.
I have a wiring diagram for this motor and the ignition system seems pretty simple. It has the Battery Type ignition with breaker points.
I?m assuming that the issue is caused by the point or condenser. Is there a way to verify this before I attempt to pull the flywheel off? Even if I pull the flywheel off, what would I be inspecting for?
I attached a lead from my ohmmeter to ground and the other to the negative on the coil. I then rotated the flywheel by hand and observed the readings. The points opened and closed as I turned the wheel (Since I saw the readings changing on the ohmmeter, I don?t think there is a short).
Has anyone else had this condition? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!!!
Does anyone know of a good website that sells parts for such an old motor?

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Ignition problem with my 45 HP Chrysler

You would usually be inspecting for dirty or pitted/burned points, bad point gap, leaking condenser or anything that looks unusual. I doubt you would find a broken point?s rubbing block due to your ohmmeter test. Check for oil residue and damage to flywheel key. If and when all is OK, lightly oil the wics that lube the cam to reduce ware on your point?s rubbing blocks. My points have been good with just cleaning since 1985. I possibly over oiled my wics or wic once and had what I thought was crankcase blow-by that made the engine sluggish vs no fire.

I?ll attach some pics of my magneto system and note the damage to one coil due screwing the puller?s screw in too deep (lucky me). The filthiest is when I felt I was getting blow-by but it d/n show later.

Good Luck,
JOW

Attachments

• Boat's check-cleaning-boats-points-9-21-07.jpg
    Boat's check-cleaning-boats-points-9-21-07.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Points.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System 2.JPG
    1970, 35 HP Chrysler's Magnieto System 2.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    Boat 70 Chrysler 35 HP Flywheel Puller.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On my 55hp I had a similier issue, but I would either get no spark on one cylinder or it would be intermitten.

File the points smooth and make sure they mate up, Not crooked. If the are, bend the fixed point to match the spring point.

Then I replaced a condenser. I just used a standard condenser from Advance Auto. (I get part number for you later if you want it. Cost about 5 bucks. )

make sure the points are set correctly. These motors seem to be very fussy. Wickware helped me through my issues.

Runs real nice now.

Coddy

Cadet

Thanks Buzz,
I?d appreciate it if you could get me that part number.
Thanks!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

BWD Condenser

Part # G10AZ
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we..._Condenser-BWD_5250447-P_199_R|GRPTUNEAMS____

If your local Advance Auto doesn't have this one.. Have them cross it..
Just make sure you open the box. They should have a retainer clip inside.

I bought 2 of them, At 6 bucks each, I wanted to eliminate the condensers all together.

Runs great now.

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Napa #FM 200

Coddy

Cadet

I took the flywheel off to take a peek underneath.
The contact point for that cylinder was all black and charred. The other one looked okay.
I find the condition of the contact very interesting.
To give a little history on the motor -- I remember replacing the points and condensers myself. We ran the engine for about two or three hours and that was it. The motor has been sitting untouched for eight years. So I?m wondering what in the world would cause a contact point to char-up after just a few hours of running.
I?d really like to purchase a new set of points but I really am on a shoestring budget now that I am a family man. I was wondering if many people have had success filling down and reconditioning their old points opposed to buying a new set every time.
Thanks for all the help.

wickware

Lieutenant

I have cleaned my points since 1985 with a point file (?Old School?) or emery cloth. I will only do this from my early automotive days if the points are dirty vs Pitted/Burned. No metal has transferred on the point?s contacts. Cleaning will cause metal filing that must be cleaned or blown off to prevent burning. During my old auto servicing, metal transfer could indicate a bad or wrong condenser problem. Hopefully, the correct condenser was installed. I have seen points not last a year in VW?s magneto systems due to the condensers. I would try to find the specific condenser listed (which might be indicated on the other condenser). JOW

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

burned points typically mean a bad condenser.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

burned points typically mean a bad condenser.

+1

Replace the condenser.
Then you'll have to file the points, File them straight and smooth. Just make sure dont use your thumb or finger. Typically you'll just round the point. If you use emery cloth, wrap it in a screw driver so you can use it as a file.

Once the points are cleaned. Check to make sure they are closing together. If the points are crooked, that can cause issues. Bend the fixed point so it matches up with the other contact.

Now that you haved cleaned the point, you'll have to gap the points. Take your time when you gap. I found my motor to be real fussy.

Coddy

Cadet

My Seloc service manual states that the point gap should be set at 0.015? (45HP, Model 457HD, S/N 1960) but the plate the points are mounted to states SET 0.020?.
This seems to be a contradiction. What would be the proper gap?
My service manual also states to torque my flywheel bolt to 80 ft-lbs. I just wanted to verify that this is, in fact, correct as well.
Is the lock nut that holds the flywheel on considered a ?wear item?? In other words, should I be replacing it every year or so. I?ve only had the motor for about ten years and couldn?t tell you if the nut is original or not.
Thanks,

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I may be wrong,

But I think if you have the coil ignition, then you set to .015
If you have the magneto engine (like wickware posted pictures of) then you set to .020

Your flywheel nut should be set to 80-90 ft lbs.
The nut. Depending if it's orginal or not. You should use a lock nut. Get them at any hardware store. If you have removed this nut several times I would replace it. As for every year? I say no, unless you see the nylon insert is cracking.

I used a new lock nut and my flywheel kept coming loose shearing the flywheel key. I had to add some thread locker to the shaft, then torque to 80 ft lbs.

Coddy

Cadet

Okay, so now I?m all set to re-gap the points.
When I set the gap, the piston should be at TDC, correct?