ignition problem? 79 35 hp evinrude

JMG

Cadet
79 35hp evinrude that coughs at idle(slight miss ), stalls when put in gear but runs excellent at anything above idle.

Some history... cleaned carbs, new plugs, checked comp+timming all is good. Pulled flywheel, found pick up coil loose adjusted as close as possible without OEM tool (ring) found top plug not firring at idle but will jump a 3/8 gap. I then switched wirring to coils and it is now the opposite coil that is weak.

My question is could it be the adjustment of the pick up coil ( not the sensor) that is causing this by not creating enough triggering voltage to run both coils at idle?

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Jamie

JMG

Cadet
Re: ignition problem? 79 35 hp evinrude

Thanks Tashasdaddy,

I went through alot of that stuff from my manual but found that it wasn't consistant when I started reversing triggering wires and coils, the problem seemed to follow the triggering wire. I would then adjust the pickup coil ( not the sensor) closer to the flywheel and it would run perfect except it now was touching the flywheel ever so slightly and causing problems with dragging the timming base in the same direction as the motor rotation.

I just don't know if the adjustment changes the strength of the spark or not, or am I on a wild goose chase?

Jamie