Ignition problem 650-65hp Merc Thunderbolt

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice
Ok need help guys, solinoid would just click but starter would work when i jumped it direct. I put new solinoid on today, now I don't even get a click. Starter still works if i jump direct to it. Took test light to live side of solinoid and shows power, jump small wires and does nothing. Is there a way to test the solinoid, or any ideas what i can do next. Oh yes it's a 650-65hp merc thunderbolt 1969 4 cylinder 2 stroke. If any of you can help on this one, it would be great!<br /> Thanks

RICKRICK1

Ensign
Re: Ignition problem 650-65hp Merc Thunderbolt

that solinoid grounds to the starter ground point, are the connections clean and is the ground wire in good repair. Do you get 12 volts at the switch small contection from harness when switch turned to start? you may need to clean all connections and check wires at switch in control box, also check where the external harness connects to the motor.

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice

Connections are clean and tight, have not looked in control box but will do that. Should yellow wire on solinoid that says it's ignition be 12 volts with the key on, because now I have nothing that shows. Well I'll fix it or .......it I'll let you know. Thanks for the come back.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

should only show voltage when key is turned to start. with key in on(run) position should not be any voltage. You may have a bad switch, if you do be sure and replace it with a masrine switch and not a car switch. Had to resolder all connections on my switch and trimed wires as several had bad insulation break down inside the throttle box. It helps to have amanual when you do this, if you donot e-mail me at rbarrow@dfwairport.com and I will send you the pictures and diagrams.

bucksaw

Seaman Apprentice

Just sent you an email RickRick1 pics and diagrams would be most helpful for sure.<br /> <br /> Thanks a lot.....Bucksaw