Ignition coil v/ lighting coil what's the diff?

Deep V

Cadet
I'm trying to get my top cylinder to fire consistantly on my '78 Mariner 40BE.I put in a new coil,but that did 'nt fix it.In the prosess of shopping for it ,I ended up with an ignition coil that goes under the flywheel.Should I put it in ?Could that fix my problem?I've got compression.Is this motor really suppose to run on a 100 to 1 fuel mix?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ignition coil v/ lighting coil what's the diff?

It sounds like you need a seervice manual.

Generically speaking, Lighting coils are single winding and produce AC (true sine wave and 60 HZ if motor speed at 3600RPM) and are used to run lights. Ign coils produce high voltage via secondary winding and fire spark plugs. Charging coils are same as lighting coils, but use VR/rectifier or just rectifier to create DC

Laddies

Banned

Your engine should be equipped the a Bendix magneto, if thats the case then the energizer coil you have that goes under the flywheel is working as it is supplying electricity to run the other cyl. so the chances are you have a bad set of points or condenser. Mix your fuel 50 to 1.

Deep V

Cadet

Sorry,I'm new to forums as well as out board mechanics.I don't know what a PM is or where to find points.I see on a schematic that the condensers are under the fly wheel.If the points are in there also, would they be called breakers on a parts list? I did'nt even know that this thing was Jap made untill I tried to find parts for it.I bought it to replace my Johnson that I puchased new(unlike this one).Now I just want to get back on the water.