Ignition Coil connection question

Probus

Cadet
Hi all,
Ive just purchased a replacement coil for my 50hp 1990 force outboard. it has a connection point that im not sure if it is the ground or what... there is a wire coming out of the back of my current bad coil, does that attach to the point i marked on the picture, and the ground attaches to one of the larger bolts/metal brackets on the new coil? please someone help me identify it =) picture is attached...

Attachments

• 1824475r_1.JPG
    1824475r_1.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

Stavie

Cadet
Re: Ignition Coil connection question

Although I can't tell exactly from the picture It looks like it is the coils ground connector, coils have a ground wire and a spark plugs lead. It didn't come with directions ?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

I replaced a bad coil on my 1988 125HP with the one you are showing. The connection you are referring to is the connection from the CD module.

The old coil should have 3 wires. The spark plug wire, a black ground wire, and a white w/red stripe wire with a black tubular connector on one end. The color of this wire may not be the same as I mentioned, but it's obvious because it's the only one with the connector. You have to cut this wire off of the old coil as close to the coil as possible to maximize it's length. You need to solder the cut end onto the small eyelet supplied with the new coil. They should have supplied you with an eyelet a small piece of solder and some heat shrink to do this. Once completed, you should end up with a short piece of wire with the black tubular connector on one end and an eyelet soldered on the other end. There is one screw connection on the new coil. The wire gets attatched to that connection on the eyelet end. The other end plugs into the corresponding tubular connection from the CD module.

Probus

Cadet

Hey,
Thanks all... pnwboat you got it exactly!
Probus

robert hill

Recruit

I have a 1986 force 125 that i have replaced the igition coil i need to know the red and orange wire order to replace them properly?