Igition switch

warren4618

Cadet
I have a 1984 chrysler 25hp mod# 252H4H. I have a 6 pole Switch which I suspect is bad. Do I need a 6 pole or can I use a four pole. I quess what I am asking is how do I wire up an iginition switch for this engine All help will be greatly appreciated
warren4618

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Igition switch

If it is an electronic ignition engine, then you still need a six terminal push to choke switch (standard and sold here at iboats). If it is a battery and points ignition or a magneto ignition engine you can get away with a 4 terminal switch as long as the terminals are battery, start, choke, and ignition.
Wiring the engine is different, depending upon which ignition type you have. However, Battery red wire always attaches to the "B" terminal, green (choke) the "C" terminal, and yellow (start) the "S" terminal. Black (ground) is not attached to the switch and orange (overheat indicator) is not attached either.

Blue and white vary with ignition type: Magneto and electronic ignition, they each attach to one "M" terminal. Battery and points, the blue attaches to the "I" terminal (sometimes marked "A" for accessories) and the white wire is not used.