If you were in charge of ending world hunger, where would you start?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer
Some of the problems are <br /><br />- overpopulation<br />- greed (many of the rich nations could sell their excess and sacrafice to the 3rd world nations)<br />- education (teach them to fish and manage their resources)

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: If you were in charge of ending world hunger, where would you start?

Start a "Reality Academy" that every person must attend. Here you would learn the lesson my grandfather used to proclaim: no workee, no eatee. Self reliance all the way! Further education would follow...one of the first lessons being that anyone who comes around touting government handouts is up to NO GOOD.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Contraception usage and AWARENESS! (potentially even enforcement *birth limitations* like in China if required) Planned parenting education in conjunction with AIDS prevention and economic aid and infrastructure towards developing farming (livestock/agriculture) and fishing independence for future independence. A travesty occurs on a daily basis. Some 30,000 children starve to death DAILY. This isn't a problem or inconvenience, its a matter of life and death. Everyone freaked out when the tsunami's happened with global aid packages. Well, disasters are happening daily. The same number of children die every week as did perish in the 2004 Asia tsunami.<br /><br />Hmmmm-Maybe we could have spent some of the $250,000,000.00 on the war we had looking for weapons of mass destruction that weren't there (a war I'd definitely say wasn't necessary) on helping out nations that could really use our help. After bombing the s#it out of Iraq and spending a quarter billion, sacrificing over 1500 soldiers, killing tens of thousands of Iraqis, and decimating an entire country, the jury is still out whether Iraquis even think it was worth while. I watch BBC and the CBC news not just Fox and CNN, so I get lots of views on the subject.

aspeck

Staff member

1) Eliminate all tariffs and duties in ALL countries on basic food items. Would level the playing field and help get surplus food to where it belongs.<br /><br />2) Education<br /><br />3) Make basic supplies for agriculture available to all countries - again eliminate the tariffs and duties.<br /><br />4) Have 3rd World Countries quite taxing the life blood out of the NGO's that are in their country to help them.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What Aspeck said...

crab bait

Captain

open an leave open the doors at the SPCA

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'd start right here in the U.S. of A. ;)

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> I'd start right here in the U.S. of A. ;)
Yep. I'd start on my own doorstep.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Start with an incentive to those who believe they must have 8 children so that one of them grows to adulthood. Show them better ways to manage their crops and production a la the Peace Corps but on a larger scale, thereby reducing the strain on local food supplies. We (the industrialized world) are not going to solve the problem by throwing all our leftovers at the 3rd world. That will only perpetuate their way of thinking that they should have more babies.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Barlow!!!<br /><br />I'm with ya "100 PERCENT"!!!!!! ;) :cool:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

As per the topic, I think I would act on the phrase from the good book, "The weak shall parish and the strong will survive".<br /><br />You can't help if help is not wanted, accepted, or appreaciated. Let nature takes it course as it does in the animal kingdom. Those that want to be strong will survive without help from anyone but themselves.<br /><br />Sorry to make that sound so cold hearted.

gaugeguy

Captain

Sam Kinison had a great idea. "MOVE TO WHERE THE FOOD IS!! YOU LIVE IN A FREAKIN DESERT, NOTHING GROWS HERE, NOTHING IS EVER GONNA GROW HERE"

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

This situation is like feeding wild animals. Once you feed them, they depend on you to do it again, and again, and again. Thus creating the attitude, "Why should we work to feed the family, there is plenty of people to do it for us".

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> As per the topic, I think I would act on the phrase from the good book, "The weak shall parish and the strong will survive".<br /><br />You can't help if help is not wanted, accepted, or appreaciated. Let nature takes it course as it does in the animal kingdom. Those that want to be strong will survive without help from anyone but themselves.<br /><br />Sorry to make that sound so cold hearted.
Another quote from the Word,<br /><br />Matthew 15:32<br /><br />"Now Jesus summoned His disciples and said, "I have compassion on the crowd, because they've already stayed with Me three days and have nothing to eat. I don't want to send them away hungry; otherwise they might collapse on the way." <br /><br />Matthew 25:35-40<br /><br />"35 For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me; I was in prison and you visited Me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?' 40 "And the King will answer them, 'I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.' "<br /><br />We need to heap the "least of these", in particular the children who aren't able to help themselves.<br /><br />I agree that the solution is not an easy one.

D

DJ

There is more than enough food, in this world, to go around.<br /><br />There are many things that stop the distribution.<br /><br />1. Politics. Food rotting on the docks of countries led by despots.<br /><br />2. Peolpe living in areas that cannot support human life.<br /><br />There is NO excuse for ANYONE in the USA to go hungry. If they do, it's their own fault. Or, in the case of children, the parents/guardians fault.