if you want a new carb 2 strok buy NOW

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: if you want a new carb 2 strok buy NOW

from someone that hates yamaha soo much you surely do alot of research on them .......

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Ebay will have anything wanted for Mercs for decades..Yamaha outboards...well...who cares..

deejaycee_2000

Captain

right .... i'm not fond of 4-strokes myself .......

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

^^^...i second that. I do not regret buying my 2005 merc 150 carby on bit. Yea, it may go through more gas than the Optimax or other equivalent 2 strokes as well as 4 strokes, but for the ease of maintenance, proven reliability, and outstanding performance, it can not be beat. You can't stand up in your backyard with the cowl off and work on your new direct injected 2 stroke or complex 4 stroke with a screwdriver, wrench, and some sockets nor has any DI 2 stroke or 4 stroke outboard been around long enough to guarantee proven reliability for years and years of service. Im not against direct injected 2 strokes at all...i think they are a great advancement in the 2S outboard industry. I just feel that they are very complex with many expensive parts (not to mention 4 strokes as well) that have the potential for more things to go wrong.

More than 90% of the time, i'd be willing to bet that a 4 stroke owner or DI 2 stroke owner comes out of a dealership with no less than 200-400 dollars on their bill for a small fix or general maintenance. Not to mention blown powerheads, air compressor failures ect. I get my 150 winterized since it is still under warranty at the dealer for the low price of $95.00. That includes high perf lower unit lube, greasing pivots, fogging the motor, putting stabil in the fuel and disconnecting and charging the battery, and the peace of mind knowing that it is done. Try getting that same price for a DI 2 stroke or 4 stroke of equivalent size.

Yes did last week. Yammi 150. Couldnt be happier, see post above.......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Around here you can?t give a carbed motor away.

The difference in maintenance cost, if there even is one, between a carbed 2 stroke and a DFI or 4S is peanuts compared to the fuel savings. A lot of us burn anywhere from 100 -150 gallons of fuel a trip so the 30-40% fuel savings ($100 - $200 per day) a DFI or 4S delivers over a carbed motor adds up very quickly.

Run 15-20 trips a year and the choice to go with a DFI or 4S over a carbed motor is obviously apparent.

150 gallons a trip !! Ya kiddin right? Where the heck are you going to burn that much, just curious........:eek:

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

you may be right for charter fishing boats who make many full day trips throughout the year but for my purposes, it does not pay off in my opinion. Most people up here in the midwest would be lucky to use 150 gallons in a season. Heck, theyd be lucky to use their boat 10-15 times a year if they do not have a place on a lake. Each motor suites each person differently. For you and other charter fisherman who need good gas mileage and performance, a direct injected 2 stroke is a great choice, but for me and my 2-3 hours of run time each day for 2-3 times when im up at my cabin for every other weekend, it doesnt pay for the upfront cost, extra maintenance and cost, and the memories of the old-fashioned carby two stroke smell in the morning.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I?m no charter captain, only a private boat owner that got bit by the offshore bug. We make that trip 10-15 times year or more some times. It helps when you have 3-4 guys to pitch in with expenses but it gets mighty expensive none the less.

In our case it?s 25- 35 miles each way to the fishing grounds if the fish are in close or 60 + miles each way if you?re heading out to the canyons. Figure in fuel to troll at 2200-2500 rpm for 8 hours while you out there and it adds up quick.

150 gallons a trip !! Ya kiddin right? Where the heck are you going to burn that much, just curious..

We fish the mid-Atlantic coast. Ocean City Md., Virginia Beach Area mostly. Not that uncommon to run a couple of hundred miles a day if that is where the bit is.

I hear ya Dingbat........ great fishing over there and yes gas mileage is major important, 4 stroke or E-tech the only way to go !!

I am over in North Florida, we catch grouper, kings, and cobia within 6 miles of the beach. But we aint fishin for Wahoo and marlin like ya'll ;)