If you have done this please help

PT

Seaman
1987 OMC Cobra (400)<br />I need all info i can get in removing my OMC cobra drive. Heres what my manual says , <br />1. Remove Oil stick,install lifting eye, insert lifting eye<br />2>Disconnect aft end of the tilt\trim on each side. <br />3.Remove the 6 elastic stop nuts<br />4.Support the unit<br />5.Pull the drive str8 bac & remove it from boat.<br />6.Put drive in safe place<br />7.Remove & discard the pivot housing Gasket<br />8.Clean gasket from the Pivot housing<br /> <br /><br />Dosnt the shifter cable & a few other things need to be removed before i take the drive competely off.Tis is my 1st time taking aa drive off , so i will need all the help i can get

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: If you have done this please help

PT...little confused why you put (400) this was one of the stringer models (pre-Cobra) along with the 800. Anyway you have the correct instructions for a Cobra if thats what you have. Most people don't take out the dipstick and put in an eye bolt, with 2 people you can easily manhandle the drive. As far as the shift cable goes there is nothing to disconnect, there is a shift rod with a notch in it that a bellcrank fits into, you just pull the drive straight back and they separate. As you get it close to being all the way out try to make sure you support the drive shaft so it doesn't drop down.

PT

Seaman

Thank you Bob,I guess Im confused on what model cobra this is, 1987 model. My book also says when putting drive back on to put shifter in NEUTRAL. Dosnt say anything about putting it there to take it out is this correct, does it matter where it is to take out. Now when i get the drive off my main reason for taken it out was the shifter cable has a bare spot with matal casing exposed, figured i better replace it & thought this would be a good time to also check out the gimbal bearing & u joints & bellows, I will be able to inspect these by removing the drive correct? Also should i change the bell housing gasket since i am this far.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Yes neutral is right for off and back on. Great time to check the gimbal bearing, grease the u-joints and inspect the bellows. If the exhaust bellows has slits in the bottom that appear to be uniform don't worry about it because some were made that way. Not to sure what you are calling the bell housing gasket but you will need a new gasket where the drive mates up to the transom mount. Here is a website you can go to see an exploded view of your engine/drive, just select OMC, your year, engine size and which area to view. Doug Russell web page