If this is a scam I kinda fell for it

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a rental cottage in Kenora, Ontario so I get e-mails regularly from folks looking to book a week, this one came today and I replied very politely but realized after sending it that the phone number is not from California...any thoughts from you tech types or am I about to get bombarded with spam?

I'll copy the letter and my reply so you get the gist of it...I also sent it from my home email so they have that too!

------------------------------------
Hi Harrison Page;

I'm sorry that we are unable to accommodate you for that period; the cottage is already booked. For your information it is a two bedroom cottage with a total of six beds...

-2 guests in the master bedroom
-4 guests in the second bedroom (twin size bed over a double bunk bed with a twin sized trundle underneath)

We can and do accommodate more or have the capability of allowing some privacy to those in the second bedroom by using a hide-a-bed in the living room. Unfortunately the math still comes out to just two bedrooms though.

Although we can't help you this time I might suggest a look at the gokenora.com website. You'll see a QUICK FIND LOCAL LINKS feature with several great camps, one of which is sure to be able to help you out.

Thanks for the opportunity to help you.

Tim Brown

-----Original Message-----
From: Harrison page [mailto:page_travel_agency1@yahoo.com]
Sent: May 28, 2007 3:25 PM
To: alcocklake@gmail.com
Subject: Accommodation booking

HELLO

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU CAN ARRANGE ACCOMODATION FOR FOUR(4) CLIENTS IN YOUR PROPERTY

THEY WILL BE COMING ON VACATION FROM 2TH OF AUGUST TO 9TH AUGUST, A TOTAL OF SEVEN(7) DAYS OF STAY.

CHECK IN--02/08/07
CHECK OUT-09/08/07

WE WILL BE NEEDING A TOTAL OF FOUR SINGLE ROOMS

KINDLY ADVICE OF AVAILABILITY.

PLS ADVICE IF YOU ACCEPT CREDIT CARD (VISA AND MASTER)FOR PAYMENT.

KIND REGARS

HARRISON PAGE
1353 Granite Hills Dr
El Cajon, CA.92019

PHONE..+447024082772

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: If this is a scam I kinda fell for it

Complete scam. Stop answering any emails just google that out of country telephone # and you will see the scam has been run before.

gss036

Commander

Ecuador Franchise AssociationKIND REGARS. JOHN MONE 1353 Granite Hills Dr El Cajon, CA.92019 PHONE..+447024082772,. // entrada de Asociaci?n Ecuatoriana de Franquicias AEFRAN @ 3:34 AM ...
aefran.blogspot.com/ - 242k - Cached - Similar pages

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses....What do the pecker heads really want?

Bondo

Staff member

Your email address,........ So they can Sell it as Active...............;)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Okay having seen a bunch of these........

They want to reserve your cottage........

They will send you money in advance but ..... in error they will send too much money:eek: They will tell you to keep the money and please send them the excess but keep an extra hundred or so for your trouble.:rolleyes:

The money orders that they send you will be bogus.

Best part is that a person tried to scam me at work about 5 months ago with the same address!!

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the "heads up"...thats the first time someone has tried to scam me. I almost feel like playing along and keeping the "advance money".... but unfortunately I don't have time to screw around with the freaks. I didn't catch it till I noted the crappy English and looked at the phone number and checked the Country Code, it comes up as Great Britain?????? (that was +44)...

Thanks again; I am a bit wiser now ( I hope)!

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have a friend who received 4 money orders in a single envelope for a transaction.... he turned them over to the State Police and it took them a while but the money order's were fake.

ndemge

Commander

I accept personal checks and only takes a few days to clear usually. ALL money orders I wait 2 weeks to clear before I ship out an order.

Even from my regular customers, I tell them the same, I don't trust money orders. The kid working behind the counter at the gas station or grocery store you bought them at may be really good at making counterfits just like the nigerian's.

A certified bank check doesn't cost much more than a money order, and can be cleared pretty quick. And even then, If it's not from a national chain bank that I am familiar with, it gets a few extra days to make sure.

I'd rather pay a couple percent to a credit card fee and know I have the payment.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

No doubt it's a variation on the counterfeit money order scam others have mentioned. One thing you will find that most of these scams have in common is the improper or at least unusual use of the English language. As you read the text you find examples of both. This is not to say that the message didn't originate from a legitimate source who is merely unfamiliar with the use of the language - but that's not the most likely explanation.

It's best to ignore suspicious emails either way.

Good luck.