Idle relief question, 95 40hp Force...

Backcountry

Cadet
I'm brand new here and new to outboards. I have a 1995 40hp Force with the idle relief holes. I started the motor today with the lower unit submerged in a 20 gallon bucket so the water was a couple inches above the intake. There was no water at all, spray, spit, mist, stream or other coming out of the idle relief holes at idle. I only let it run about 20-30 seconds, expecting to see something, but nothing. Eventually, smoke started coming out out of the holes. The area around the holes was more than warm to touch (not HOT).

How long should it take before I start seeing the spray? I'm afraid to run the motor. I thought about checking the impeller, but not sure how. The man I bought the boat from gave me the operators manual and installation manual for the motor, but I don't see anything in there regarding the impeller. I'm glad for this forum and sorry I found it like this. Would have liked to contribute first before asking for info.

Thanks,

BC

Backcountry

Cadet
Re: Idle relief question, 95 40hp Force...

OK - I take back the part about not knowing how to check the impeller. I've searched the forums and found some good info on how to do it. I'm also going to track down a Clymer manual to help me along the way.

My question is still how long should it take to see/feel mist at idle, and how high above the intake valves should the water in the drum be (to be above the water pump)?

Thanks,

BC