idle maneuvering

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice
I own a 25ft Voyager tri/ctr console with a 115 4cycle merc. I have recently started fishing alone or with my wife. I tend to tie up under overpasses which makes for interesting rope and boat handling all at the same time. The layout of the boat does not lend itself to a trolling motor being mounted in the front, since I tend to trip over everything It would be easier to maneuver the boat at idle if I had a way to kick the rear of the boat one way or the other. the boat has 1 bracket on each outboard toon where the 2 depth finders Voyager uses are mounted. I thought if I mounted a small thruster on one that might do the job, but I can't find anything. Now I'm leaning toward 2 large bilge pumps mounted in the ctr toon plumbed to each toon with the flow going to the side with one switch controlling one or the other. There may be an easier way to do this, but I just havn't figured it out. I thought I would see what ideas might be out there.

Frankenstien

Cadet
Re: idle maneuvering

hmmmm interesting....

I dont think you would get sufficient thrust from a bilge pump to allow much if any aft movement,

Not sure "HOW MUCH" youd be willing to spend, on an extreme budget you could get an auto pilot system that will allow you to maintain course and heading without touching the helm. A "Po-Boys" approach is a Bungee cord on the wheel once your direction is set.

bill and doris

Seaman Apprentice

The issue is when I'm trying to idle into a bridge leg even with the motor turned hard to one side or the other the rear just doesn't want to move over without adding power. I don't lose anything trying, since the boat already has two pumps to run lake water to different areas. I'll just replace them with the bigger ones and have more pressure if it doesn't work.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why not buy a couple of trashed trolling motors, remove the motor assembly and mount them on the tubes with appropriate switches. You get much more thrust and it with the advantage of speed control if you wish. The other thing is to alter your technique. The idea, whether docking at a dock or a bridge pier, is to nose close to it at an angle. Now turn the helm hard toward the pier/dock in reverse and add power. This sucks the rear of the boat toward the pier/dock. If you don't have a pontoon specific prop I suggest you add one. They have very large blade area and work much better then regular props, especially in reverse. Since I spend lots of time on a river with a fair current, and have to deal with wind besides, I added a stout hook eye to tend of an old graphite golf club. With that I can nose up to a pier, latch onto a frame member or cleat and pull the boat in. Works great when needed.

woosterken

Lieutenant

home land security going to get you tieing up under a bridge :)

woosterken

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please don't take my comments the wrong way, but I would find an experienced boater, preferrably a 'pontooner', and ask them for assistance.
Thrusters will be expensive and I think clumsy to use.

You should also commit a day or two doing nothing but practicing slow speed maneuvers.

The secret is to anticipate the wind and current and applying short bursts of power to 'kick' the stern. If possible approach your destination into the wind and/or current. Chapman's has lots of great reading about slow speed maneuvering.

Don't want to brag, but I have tied a 32' SunTracker under bridges hundreds of times and caught thousands of Crappie with no incidents. But I have been boating for over 40 years.

Good luck

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it seems like it would add a lot of drag, and cause a lot of spray. my suggestion is to secure the bow, using fenders, the back down in reverse, with motor turn to piling. also a boat hock would help in docking.