Idle doesn't return to low rpm after load and then gear doesn't shift properly

_tp_

Recruit
Hi,
my motor is Tohatsu 18MFS. Idle is fine after start, but occasionally after high rpm load it 'freezes' a bit higher lever. Then, the gearstick is hard to push on reverse and when pushing back from reverse to forward (easier), stick moves but gear doesn't shift to forward (or neutral) until throttling more. Is there some limiter for shifting gear in higher rpm? Recently changed sparks and adjusted idlescrew and rod connected to carb to get it work on low rpm. Where to start with this new problem??

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is that test going on on muffs, barrel, on water ?

Happy Boating

_tp_

Recruit
This problem appears in normal use on water and the link to the full speed (or warm motor) is not unquestioning..

Last edited:

pvanv

Admiral
Is the actual model MFS18B2? No OB will ever shift correctly if revving too fast. Fix the throttle issue first, and the rest should be OK. The throttle rod should never need adjustment once set properly; You have probably goofed up the idle stop screw and rod settings.

_tp_

Recruit
Yes, model is MFS18B2. My screw adjustment was minimal, but the rod has been released and fastened.
Once I removed the cover during problem, I think the throttle didn't come fully back towards the screw as it usually is. Have to test it again when back in boat...
Thank you for your comments!

pvanv

Admiral
Disengage the setscrew for the throttle rod. Set the carb at slow idle, set the throttle control at slow idle. Remove most of the slack from the eye in the throttle rod. Tighten set screw. done.