Idle Adjustment Screws out 3 turns for smooth idle on 1985 85hp Force?

rlasiak

Cadet
I have a 1985 85hp Force. I had some problems with my fuel pump and carbs which were posted in a previous thread. Finally got the motor running right but in order to smooth out the idle I had to back the idle adjustment screws out about 2 1/2 to 3 turns. Is this normal? Could something else be wrong? All screws are backed out evenly and I have my idle set as low as possible which I have to advance a little more because she is idling too slow. The slow idle is causing her to stall some. But my concern is the idle adjustment screws being backed too far. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

P.S. She does run all the way to full throttle with no stutters or anything how she is set.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Idle Adjustment Screws out 3 turns for smooth idle on 1985 85hp Force?

Could be that your idle circuit (needle adjustment) has some crud in it and therefore you have to back out your idle mixture screw to get a proper mixture to support the idle. Also, what does the idle mixture screw look like on the end. If it is marred or has some groove in it, you need to fix that issue. Otherwise, just use it like it is until other problems arise...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Your probably running too rich.
Should probably be about in the 1 turn out area.
They aren't idle adjustment screws!! They are air/fuel mix screws.
They regulate the amount of air mixed with the fuel at LOW speed.
The idle is adjusted at the towershaft.
You need to do an inital adjustment in the drive.
1 turn out and then in the water,must be in the water for final adjustment.
Do the linc and sinc(top post) and then set the idle about 1100 and then put in the water.
After adjusting the idle should be about 800 in gear in the water.

Jiggz

Captain

We need to find out if you are referring to the idle screw adjustment or the fuel-air mixture adjustment. If it is the latter, 2.5~3 turns is too much unless you are counting it wrong. Usually, 1 turn out from seating position will be normal and enough. Don't be misled by the engine sound when adjusting the air-fuel mixture screw. The engine rpm will tend to increase and sound smoother while opening these screws but it will actually be too rich which can foul the plugs sooner. The link and synch instruction tells you to position these screws midpoint between too rich (engine starts to sputter due to too rich mixture while opening the screw) and too lean (engines starts to sputter while closing the screw). And usually from my experience this position is between 7/8 ~ 1 1/8 turn out from seating position. That's why the 1 turn out from seating position is usually the starting recommended position.