Identifying year & model of Johnson outboard

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on identifying the year & model of an older Johnson outboard. I have an older 40 HP electric shift motor that I need parts for and would like to find a manual and parts list for it. Is there anyway I could find this out using the serial number? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Identifying year & model of Johnson outboard

If you will post the model number we can answer this for you..

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That'll be a 1960s motor. Under the hood latch on a plate where the motor tilts there will be a tag with the model and serial numbers. We need the model number and we can nail it for you. But most of the parts are the same for all years of that motor. I hope you don't need gearcase parts. Except for seals and water pump parts, most aren't available. Evinrude parts will be the same, so if you run accross a parts motor...<br /><br />The model number will be something like RK-24. I'm not certain what the prefix letters are for the electric shift but I know the RDs are manual shift, so the RKs must be electric. The numbers will ID the year. RK-24 is a 1962 model. -25 would be 1963, on up to -30 which is a 1968. There might be an L after the RK which would make it a longshaft model.<br /><br />You might check for a parts list with a dealer. Everything is on computer now and most dealers have the old paper manuals in a box collecting dust somewhere. Service manuals will be harder to get from them because those were never available as anything other than books and I doubt you can order one anymore. But there are aftermarket manuals available. Check with your public library as many have them. If you like what you see, you can probably order one right here. Look it up under the blue Marine Mega Mall tab above.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Actually, permission to copy older OMC and Evinrude service manuals was turned over to Ken Cook Co, who sells them themselves and through a number of resellers. They reproduce every parts, service, and owner's manual from 1915-1996.<br />TheOutboardWizard<br />Mastertech<br />Marine Engine<br />Ken Cook <br />I've got both that aftermarket manual that Iboats sells, and some original factory manuals. The factory manuals are superior.<br />Sometimes, you can find a used on on ebay for a fraction of the cost of a new one.<br />Which parts are you after? Most of the 'wear out' and common service parts are still being manufactured.

Thanks for the help all, I am going to where my boat is stored in the morning and will see what numbers I can find on it. I am looking for an alternator and the bracket that attaches it to the motor. I'll get a picture of it with my digital camera too.

I can't find the model number anywhere on my outboard, only individual stamped parts numbers, I looked underneath the hood latch where the motor tilts but the tag must be missing. I'll try to check with the previous owner and see if he has any idea to its year. I was able to get the serial number off of the Starcraft boat (67 W 2436L) it is mounted on, maybe it is the same year as the boat. All I was able to figure out is that it is a Johnson 40 Electramatic (black body, white cowling)