Identifying my Volvo Outdrive

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a bit of a mess here. Trying to ID the outdrive on this 1968 Fibra cuddy. I know it is a Volvo, and I have a SN for it. From a picture I was able to download from the Penta site, which contains pics of all of their outdrives, and some SN info, I believe it is an AQ200, with a 1.59 ratio. Problem is when I went to look for parts I found that there is an AQ 200A, AQ 200B, AQ 200C and AQ 200D, but I have not found a way to tell the difference in them, or which mine is.

It has been repowered with a Ford 302, and from what I have been able to find, Volvo Penta did not use any Ford engines in their setups in the 1960's.

The SN, found on a metal tag on the top of the outdrive housing, is: PZ B218737.
Does anyone have info on which outdrive this is, or know where I can get the info?

Thanks,
Chris

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Identifying my Volvo Outdrive

It does appear to be a 200 drive, but the AQ200A,B,C, and D are engines, not outdrives. The AQ200A is a Chevy 5.0L engine used from 69 to 74, but has nothing to do with which drive.
The only way to find the drive, sorry to say, is to search through old engines from the 60 till you find one that used the 200 outdrive. Or maybe give Volvo a call directly.
here is a site with great parts lookup. http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html
I do have a link to the OEM manual for the outdrive if you want it http://www.4shared.com/document/tzHcLnRx/200_drive.html?dirPwdVerified=818cbd4e

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Identifying my Volvo Outdrive

Per Volvo Penta's Engine database, on their web site, the only 2 engines between 1960 and 1969 that were gas and V-8, are the AQ180 and AQ200A, which you already mentioned. The AQ180 had the AQ 200 drive behind it. The problem is that the AQ180 was only produced in 1963 and 1964. I called a dealer a little while ago. It seems like the AQ200 could not be it, since that seems to have come with an AQ 280 drive behind it.

I called a dealer about it a little while ago, and she took my SN and called Volvo about it. She called me back and said Volvo Technical Services came up with no info about that SN, and it did not appear to be a valid SN format. Considering the PDF I have seen on their web site, with the picture and SN range my number falls into, I bet that person at Volvo just didn't know about the older stuff.

I suppose the outdrive could have been put on there from some other boat when the repower occurred, but since this boat does have a Volvo Penta steering setup on it, I am inclined to think that it did come with a Volvo Penta outdrive. Yes, I suppose someone could have swapped that out to another when the broke the original.
Any other ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks for the info you have provided so far. That manual could come in handy.

Chris