Identifying a Force 85HP

"B"

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 85HP Force motor on a 1989 Spectrum 1700 I was going to replace the impeller but I got the wrong one and the pictures they show of the kits here at Iboats do not even come close to what I have I compared my unit to all that they have listed and still cant seem to find the one I need. So the only numbers I can find on the powerhead are on the intake manifold and they are 498167. I have no reason to think this unit is not original to the boat so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Identifying a Force 85HP

you need the Year and model of the engine and go here Force 85 HP (1989) Outboard Motor Parts by Component
There is a plate on the motor case. on my 35 it was on the left side when stand behind motor. Marine engine has a break down of all force motors but you need the model # at least and if you think its a 89 you can start there. hope this helps. I just went through the same thing. You can call there toll free #...they are very helpful and fast delivery.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

They installed 2 different pumps on that motor.
One pump housing came with a stainless insert.
The other just a potmetal housing.
Both work great, just use a different impeller.
F523065-1 without stainless insert
F694065 with insert.
The only thing that will identify the motor is a tag on the transom clamp.
If your just looking for the year?? You can remove the rear housing cover and find the casting stamp.It will have the year stammped there.
Or remove all the electronics from the stbd.side of the motor and there is anothe casting stamp there.
Or you can try writing a letter to Spectrum.
Include the hull # If they installed that motor at the factory they will have the model# and serial#
And a picture of the pump is worth a thousand words?

"B"

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I found the tag on the clamp and was able to get the impeller and the gasket but no stainless seperator plate. The site that Bow Guy offered shows a part number but they don't have it in stock. So far as it goes the plate I have will probably work there are just slight wear signs on it. Next-up pull floor and seal the hull seam/rivits and replace the floor.
Thanks again.......