identify my Johnson HELP

I have a Johnson 65HP outboard the model # is VXL-14B The serial number is J2880549 I have heard that these parts are very rare and outrageous except i don't know what parts to look for what year is my motor?????

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: identify my Johnson HELP

Welcome to iboats James....<br /><br />The year is a 1965.<br /><br />The parts for ignition, carb kits, water pumps are still readily available. <br /><br />Yes, some parts for the ignition system are very costly. The amplifire alone runs around $300 new. So a lot of folks will shy away from these older shakers. And the engine, even when running perfectly, eats a lot of gas.<br /><br />Post any other questions you might have.

I was just informed by Ken Cook Company.com that it's a 1968 and they have old manuals and stuff too. Thanks anyway

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Comes up as a '68 in my book, too, James. I don't think there were many changes between '65 and '69, though. The VX series didn't last very long.<br /><br />Ken Cook is a good place to get reprints of OEM Manuals.<br /><br />Any parts that you can't find new from here you can find used at www.twincityoutboard.com<br /><br />Good luck. :)