Identification Help Lark V

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello I have recently purchased a Lark V outboard. After researching a little I think that it is a 40hp maybe a 1963. Could someone help me identify the motor and point me in a direction for wiring help. Thanks<br /><br />The Motors' model number is: 40363 DA<br />The Serial number is: E02632<br />The frnt of the cowl reads: Selectric shift LarkV<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Sal<br />pdxm3sfa@yahoo.com

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Identification Help Lark V

First two digits = hp = 40<br /><br />Third digit = Year = 3 (1963)<br /><br />You have a 1963 40hp Electric Shift Evinrude.

CATransplant

Admiral

That is, indeed, a 1963 model. Welcome to the Big Twins Society. There are a bunch of us here who own them, and there's lots of information available to you.<br /><br />Your motor is a classic Big Twin. Those ranged in horsepower from 25, way back in the 50's, then 30hp in the later 50s, to 35 in 1958 and 1959, then on to 40 hp in 1960. They're great-running motors and easy to work on.<br /><br />You have the electric shifting version, which presents some problems if it's not working properly, but when they're working right, they are as good as any.<br /><br />Just ask away here with any questions you have about your new old outboard. We'll be happy to help.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wow Thank you all so much for your help and Lightning fast responses. I appreciate the help.<br /><br />Any idea on wiring information?? I will have to admit I am new to boating altogether.<br /><br />Sal

CATransplant

Admiral

You'll need a manual for your motor. The best is the OEM service manual, which you can order from marineengines.com or the Ken Cook web site. Second best is the Seloc manual that covers that year and motor, but it's not nearly as good. It does have a good wiring diagram, however.<br /><br />Wiring is always troublesome. The connectors for the remote wiring are not available as new parts, so we're all stuck with used stuff.<br /><br />Outboard wrecking yards, like tcoutboard.com, are our friends. They often have parts for these old fellows.<br /><br />More common parts like ignition, carburetor, and cooling system parts are readily available from your Evinrude/Johnson dealer or from Sierra Marine, through any NAPA dealer.<br /><br />By all means, though, get the factory manual. You'll need it for lots of things. It's cheap for what it offers, even at about $40.<br /><br />When searching here for info, use search terms like "Lark" and "RDS" and "RK". The latter two because the Johnson motors of the same period are identical, and there are lots of posts on them...more than for the Evinrude.<br /><br />The more specific your questions, the better we'll be able to help you.<br /><br />These are great ouboards!

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank you so much again!<br /><br />I will order a manual in a coupe days, check it and ask questions accordingly.<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Sal

Paul Moir

Admiral

I did notice this though while your waiting for your manual:<br /> http://mercury.walagata.com/w/chapsboy/5557180.jpg <br />Selectric shift wires arn't there, but there should be blue and green wire for them. Green is +12v when in forward and blue is +12v when in reverse. Never ever let both go to +12v at the same time.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh... That is perfect. That is exactly! what I need. Thanks guys. I think that I will be visiting this forum more often!<br /><br />Sal