Idea of using 2 water separators

Sal G

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Recently I drained close to 3 gallons of gasoline<br />from my fuel tank because of wate in my fuel.<br />I thought the pick up tube in the gas tank was located at the lowest point in the tank and by<br />pumping the primer bulb (disconnected from the engine) and emptying out part of the tank would expel any water in the system. Needless to say<br />after 3 gallons or so the gas looked free from water and I thought my problem was resolved.<br />Strangly enough, when I ran the boat I started experiency the same problem - bogging down at W.O.T. When I opened the fuel separator again, there was a significant ammount of water.<br />Brand new sepaprator-could the separator be faulty.<br />What would cause a separator not to do the proper job of keeping water out of the fuel line?<br />Would the idea of adding another sepaprator to the fuel line be a good idea- or is this just a pipe dream. Thanks for your reply.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Idea of using 2 water separators

The best thing to do is pump out the tank completely and start with fresh fuel.<br /><br />Another (poorer) idea is to disconnect the fuel line from the motor and add a small 12 volt pump. From the pump run a line back into the tank and let the fuel "cycle" until the seperator gets all the water out. <br /><br />There are (naturally) different grades of quality of the seperators but it sounds like yours is working although slowly.<br /><br />Good luck!

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Idea of using 2 water separators

I would also suggest pumping the tank dry and starting over with fresh gas. You may consider a fuel additive like SeaFoam that helps remove water in the future. If your present fuel has that much water in it, another seperator probably isn't the answer. Keeping the tank full will reduce condensation. Also, check your vent line to make sure it isn't in a location that it could ingest water while underway.