Idea, need feedback

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Messing around with something. Mods feel free to poof this if it crosses the line. <br /><br />How many of you would buy a product that is a quick release mounting system for a grill that would be near universal for all boats under 30 ft. You would not need to mount any hardware to make this work. It doesn't exist except as a cardboard cutout at this time but if there was interest we could go forward. It would install in about 10 seconds, and have an infinate number of adustments. <br /><br />We would be happy to give I-boats first rights to sell. Just interested how many of you grill on the boat and such. It would, of course be safe.... ;)

KennyKenCan

Commander
Re: Idea, need feedback

Pointer,<br /><br />I use a Magna Kettle BBQ that mounts in a rod holder, and hangs over the side.<br /><br />
barbeq2.jpg
<br /><br />I love my little grill, and its Coast Gaurd approved!<br /><br />They have a charcoal model, and a model that runs on propane, and a couple different sizes too.<br /><br />I purchased mine at West Marine.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I never have time to cook when I'm fishing cause I am usally busy, but when on the pontoon, I have a full blown grill on it, mounted in the front.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

it's a great idea i guess pointer ////<br /><br />but I wouldn't personally use it .. <br /><br />1870 mod-v duck boat <br />1890 pro-v magnum fishin' rig<br />21' RDS CC fishin; rig ..<br /><br />I hardly have room for all my other crap ...<br /><br />plus - have to make sure I have room for a few sandwiches, couple bags of chips and a beer or two. ...<br /><br />while boating ..grillin' out for me would be a shore lunch over an open fire.<br /><br />but don't let me stop you from doin' it..<br /><br />I'm no marketing or demographic expert.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Pointer...why not post this in the non-boating tech topics. Your just looking for info and ideas so I don't see the harm in the post. I got a toon also but have never really considered doing a grill on it. Would be neat though. Can you maybe post a picture of what ya' got so far?

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, and I'm sorry this is a little off topic from your post, Pointer, but I love all the things that fit in the rod holders. I got a swivel elbow lantern holder that fits into one of mine that's very convenient. I love being able to crank up the Coleman and hang it out over the water at night. It's not like I use all my rod holders at once. And the grill the others pointed to above seems like a great idea too. Hope they didn't steal yours. I like the idea of having something that mounts on the boat but takes up no cabin/cockpit space. I guess that's the kind of mount you had in mind?

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like the idea!I love grilling out on the water,but our family boat doesn't have rod holders(yet)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

The design is one of those simple things that would be somewhat easy to copy, but nobody has come up with a marketing slant for it yet, nor is there a patent. Can’t really post a pic just yet, but it will not utilize a rod holder. In addition is can be used to hold a table or cooler.<br /><br />We are messing around with different variations of the design and we are having one made out of stainless steel as a prototype. Once we have the opportunity to see how it will work in a real world application, I think at that point additional information can be shared. But it is our intention to maximize the existing hardware on almost every boat and make something that we do frequently - Grill out. Grilling on a boat is great IMHO. Want to make friends try burgers, impress a date (wife), Kabob’s. But like almost every boat owner I am not quite what you would call normal. Before we spend any time or money I would be like to get at least some idea of how many of us enjoy this. <br /><br />Thanks guys

aspeck

Staff member

Grill often on the boat and always looking for ways to improve upon it! Especially during hunting season - it don't get any fresher than that!