Ice trivia

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant
Ever wonder if the ice is thick enough to hold you? I know I used to when I lived up north. We used to hear all the groans and cracks and wonder if we were about to get real cold and wet. I only fell through once, and luckily the water was only about 4 feet deep. I found this while reading my old hometown newspaper. It's amazing how little ice you need to drive a car(or more) on.<br /> <br />Thickness (inches) Permissible Load (clear, blue, lake ice) <br />2" One person on foot <br />3" Group, in single file <br />5" Group (6-8 people) together <br />71/2" Passenger car (2 ton gross) <br />8" Light truck (21?2 ton gross) <br />10" Medium truck (31?2 ton gross) <br />12" Heavy truck (7 to 8 ton gross) <br />15" 10 tons <br />20" 25 tons <br />25" 45 tons <br />30" 70 tons

Stratosfied

Ensign
Re: Ice trivia

Good info, though the only ice that I have wondered is if I have enough in the beer cooler. :D :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

I alway wonder about the guy who gets to measure the 1st 2inches

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will not bring a car or truck on to the ice unless its 12". The thickness can vary from place to place even in the same bay.<br /><br />Ice is a different medium to fish on. In the early morning cold its popping and cracking due to it contracting. Then in the midday sunshine it will pop and crack again due to expansion. Can unsettle ones nerves if your not use to it. Kinda weird when you can hear the crack coming from across the bay and watch it go between your feet the whole time saying to yourself "its 12" thick".<br /><br />Oh, dont have to worry about the beer staying cold. Just have to make sure it does not freeze.

FSHKPR

Ensign

yeah thats good info but i am still very leary when it comes to ice. went out ice fishing last saturday and the ice was 14 inches, i still walked out and pulled my portable shanty with me. if i had a snow mobile i would of used that but not a car not yet. there was a couple others out there with cars but most had snowmobiles,4 wheelers or walked.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Worlds earliest and best method to date was developed by a mixed ethnic Finnish dude so I'm told. Unusual name, family man fron the early 1600s so told. Guys name was Phuerst. The method was basicaly...and named after Phuerst...<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />..<br />Yuhgo Pfuerst...!!!!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hmmm... Ice and cars. Reminds me of this...<br /><br />When I worked for AAA road service as a dispatcher, one member called in for a battery jump but was on a lake. No service on the lake because the wreckers were known to break through. Told him to push car to edge of lake and they will be able to reach it with the cables. Member hangs up really mad. He called back numerous times through the night and next day trying to get a truck out on the ice. He refused to push or get help moving his car.<br /><br />A warm spell came and 3 or 4 days later the same member called in asking for me by my "operator number". His words still crack me up... he said "I hope you're happy! I hope you're happy! The ice melted and my car fell through!!! Now what are you gonna do?". I was laughing too hard to answer.<br /><br />Some people are stubborn to a fault.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Saw a program on Discovery where they drove semi's over the ice!(a way of life for that region), that was cool. What stuck in my mind was that they have to slow-down as they approach the land mass, as there is an underwater surge, like a wave, that goes before them. Slowing down diminishes this "wave" so it doesen't push the ice up as the water gets shallower...sl

Triton II

Commander

Brrr... and you lot go boating! :eek: <br />It's 35 degrees Celcius here today and the air conditioning's on overtime. Enjoy the ice, sounds like fun as long as your car battery stays alive! :)

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Yeh, enjoy the ice but keep it in your country please.<br />It's much more fun in the sun.<br /><br />Peter

gaugeguy

Captain

I've gone through the ice 3 times in my life, one time in about 30' of water. Each time there was well over 3" of good "black" ice. The problem with ice is it forms unevenly over the water. 3" in one spot does not guarantee 3" of ice 50 yards from there. I will not step on the ice now unless there is 6" of ice (age has made me wiser).

FSHKPR

Ensign

i am with you gg, i like to see people driving on it before i even walk on it. i know early ice is some of the best fishing, but they are just not that important to me.

KaGee

Admiral

Don't think there will be much if any ice fishing around here this year. Too much weather instability.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Another interesting Trivia bit is that Ice Boats are probably mankind's first experience of 100mph speeds (short of falling off a cliff :eek: ).<br /><br />Ice is less dense than water. That's a very rare property that a solid is less dense than the liquid. Water is also one of the very few substances that solidifies from the top.

youngboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I knew about the 2" rule before I ventured out. People laugh at me when I say I go ice fishing in Arizona. Shoot there is a trout lake called Big Lake at 9,000' that you can't get to without a snowmobile even before the road was blocked. The road is block because some girls wondered off the road (previously using drugs) and lost some fingers and toes, sued the state got a few million. There are also some others that are above 8,000' that I would venture out on. I get scared sometimes when I take the 1st step out and my darn boot falls through. After you get past the edges you are fine. It is a little risky but just use half a brain and you'll be fine. Moans creeks etc. from the lake are normal (sometimes wakes me up). It is in the middle of the day when it's worst. The top is slush and the edges get to be very thin. You just have to pick a good spot to get on the ice where you think it is the thickest. People drive by and look at me like I'm crazy. They ask how I get out there and warn me that the edges are not frozen. Gee I never noticed that when I was coming out here :rolleyes: . Oh well. If you are worried about 5" holding you up don't worry. I'm very happy with 5". But it depends on how you feel.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

When I had time for fishing I would drill several holes and use tip ups. I would then sit in the pickup with a bottle of schnapps and a thermos of chili. I had my ice skates on so when a flag popped I would skate out, pull in the northern then skate back. <br />Have seen some cool things on the ice. If 2 cars are driving towards each other, one has to vear to one side. The ripple created in the ice in front of both vehicles will meet and break through. Seen a few cars sunk that way.<br />Another time a group of kids took their daddys brand new motor home out. Drilled holes then fished and drank beer. Eventually passed out in the motorhome. During the night it warmed up. By mid morning when they woke up the ice was still thick in the middle, but there was a good distance of open water near the shore all around the lake. They got a good run and skipped that motorhome like a stone almost to shore. Almost.<br />Third story, a friend drove out on the ice in the morning. Fishing was so good he lost track of time. The day warmed up a lot. the ice was still thick, but became soft. Water started flowing up through the holes drilled for fishing. They made it to shore but the front bumper of teh Ford 4x4 was under water. The ice was holding them, but had sunk down into the lake.<br />My uncle found 2 old pickups. One was a late '70s Ford 4 door. He took this one and cut the body right in front of the rear door. He removed the engine body and suspension from the front end, pulled the frame together and made a trailer hitch out of the frame like a pikcup box trailer. He then took the rear of the cab off of the second old pickup. He cut this cab just behind the door. He took this rear window and portion of truck cab and welded it to the front of the other cab. He put a propane heater, a cook stove and shelves in there. That was his ice shanty. he would pull it out on the lake, all his gear was in a tool box in the back and he would sit in the front and stay warm.