Ice cream

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Just wondered how many here are cultured enough to have ever made ice cream out of snow? It is -17 and snowing and boring here. Getting ready to make ice cream with the kids.

ob

Admiral
Re: Ice cream

Well I might be cultered enough DD if it snowed here more often than once every 100 years.<br /><br />We had to grind ice up when I was a kid. :D

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

My parents made it a couple of times when I was a kid. We don't get enough snow here to do it, most of the time, but a couple of years, way back in the day, we did, and my parents made it for us. <br /><br />I wouldn't know how to do it now, though.

ebbtide176

Commander

yes, my mother used to make it when we were little, if there had been more than 1 'snow'. some yrs we would get 2-3consecutive days of snow, and then we'd have snocream. we used those handcrank machines. i remember when my mother gave my grandad a new electric one.<br /><br />sometimes, relatives make homemade icecream during summer picnics, using the same recipes, except with crushed ice instead of snow. we always made icecream on july4th when i was young.

Twidget

Commander

My Dad always makes it during the summer. He has peach trees, so its peach ice cream or Oreo. Yummm

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

This one we mix milk or cream, egg, sugar, vanilla, salt, and snow. Stir it up and eat it. <br />And yes, the yellow snow does give it a little extra pang. <br />We used to always make home made ice cream too. It was always fun to sit around and take turns turnin the handle until it froze.

gaugeguy

Captain

Had a manual ice cream maker a few years ago, seemed like a whole lot of work for a bowl of ice cream. Yard sale item, first $5 took it, I'm sure.

KaGee

Admiral

Making ice cream is more trouble and costly for what it's worth. <br /><br />Ours ended up on the shelf with the peeling machine and all the other gadgets wifey had to have. Just sittin there collecting dust. But let me mention the thought of a yard sale..... and buddy all he┐┐ breaks loose.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Making ice cream is more trouble and costly for what it's worth. <br /><br />Ours ended up on the shelf with the peeling machine and all the other gadgets wifey had to have. Just sittin there collecting dust. But let me mention the thought of a yard sale..... and buddy all he┐┐ breaks loose.
Ditto here.<br />I don't exactly think of it as "fun" to sit there and manually crank a handle and try to mix it up for a little bit of ice cream. I can spend $5 at the store and save a whole lot of time. When we finished, it tasted good (the homemade ice cream), but not THAT good. <br />Don't even begin to think of the yard sale with that ice cream maker.<br /><br />AK Chappy

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

When we used to make it we live 35 miles from the nearest town. Couldn't just jump in and head to town. I was young enough it was still fun turnin the handle for an hour. Mostly it was the social side, we would sit around watching whoever took their turn on the handle while talkin about life.

spratt

Lieutenant

Made ice-cream snow many times as a kid (or Mom did!!)...at least when it snowed ...it doesn't snow in mid-Georgia all that often!!!

Carphunter

Commander

Phhhhtttttt........spit......spit...............what the heck is wrong with yellow snow anyway? :D

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Phhhhtttttt........spit......spit...............what the heck is wrong with yellow snow anyway? :D
Nothing's wrong with it if you don't mind glowing in the dark :p :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by deputydawg:<br /> When we used to make it we live 35 miles from the nearest town. Couldn't just jump in and head to town. I was young enough it was still fun turnin the handle for an hour. Mostly it was the social side, we would sit around watching whoever took their turn on the handle while talkin about life.
Yup pretty much the same story here DD.<br />Glad to hear your still doing it.<br />Except we did have a general store/post office but that wasn't the point.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I love to make Ice Cream. Don't care for the hand crank models and the electric quit too soon for me.<br /><br />Couple of years ago my wife bought me an electric six quart White Mountain ice cream machine.<br /><br />It doesn't stall until the stuff is really thick.<br /><br />I make two type of ice cream, a cherry chocolate almond and a Peach Schnapps ice cream. You cannot buy as good an ice cream anywhere.