Iboats Ham Hocks & Beans Recipe

Link

Rear Admiral
In another thread I asked for some help with making HH & Beans after starting them. They turned out great but this is the recipe I will use next time and almost all made from suggestions in that thread.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=007195 <br /><br />Ham Hocks & Beans the IBOAT Way! <br /><br />INGREDIENTS <br />A case or two of cold Buds.<br />To be used liberally during the whole process.<br />(see other thread) <br /><br />1 ham hock w/meat thats left<br />(next time I would smoke it first or throw in some smoked ham)<br />Note: If you don't have the means to smoke the Ham Hock or have smoked ham, try a few caps full of Liquid smoke to taste.<br /><br />1 lb White beans (Great Northern's)<br />1 White onion cut up<br />4 garlic cloves minced<br />1 Large or two small carrots peeled and chopped<br />1 teaspoon cumin seeds.<br />(Roasted in a small skillet then grind up..smells so good you will want to eat them..but dont ;) )<br /><br />1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper<br />1 small batch of Dumpling batter. <br />(See other thread or Betty Crocker Cook book)<br /><br />1 Quarter sized ball of pickling spices in a spice bag.<br /><br />If ya just have to do the redneck thing and throw a sock in the pot. Kenneth Brown suggests<br />putting the pickling spices in your Ole Ladys hose and twist it tight! :eek: <br /><br />But I must add that the pickling spices he suggested took this meal to a new, higher level of taste and smell (Don't go there guys)<br /><br />Oh speaking of which.. Don't forget the BeanO :D <br />-----------------------------------<br />This is a very basic but wonderfull dish that all can enjoy. The Flavor was mentioned several times by all of us.. and it is awsome. But it has no Kick! MIL Friendly if you will.<br /><br />OPTIONS <br />My first option would be to increase the ground black pepper from 1/2 teaspoon to 1/4 cup and taste from there. If that didn't do it try a jalopena.<br /><br />Other options which all sound good to me are from Chief 101 post also. Add a 16ozcan of stewed tomaters. 16 ozjar of "La Victoria" brand Salsa Ranchera. Then add the jalopena if needed.<br /><br />Cooking Directions <br />(Have a Bud)<br />For Crock Pot<br />(Have a Bud)<br />Put Ham Hocks and Beans (After washing) in pot<br />(Have a Bud)<br />When about 1/2 done (have a Bud) put in Pickling spices and carrots (have a Bud)<br />At about 90% done put in all other spices. (Have a Bud)<br />When done (Have a Bud)<br />Mix up dumpling batter<br />(Have another Bud)<br />Wonder what in the heck your doing staggering across the the room with batter dripping off your fingers.<br />Batter has to go somewhere.. so I dipped my hands in the crock pot :confused: <br />Next Day<br />Doc says "Have another Bud Link"<br /><br />Great Recipe and thanks Folks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Iboats Ham Hocks & Beans Recipe

Um' tellin' ya' Link...Bud goes good with near everything. Once me and my Brother in law got elected to make cabbage rolls for the anual fire house hoorah. Well, we was in the kitchen mixin' the stuffin' up and course havin a Bud. Somehow we got the stuffin' to dry. So we dumped a Bud into it. Made near100 amd sum cabbage rolls. Kitchen opened at 1100am and the cabbage rolls was gone by 3 in the afternoon. Had to be the Bud. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Hey OBJ your makeing a believer out of me ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Ain't nothing wrong with tha hose, might even add more flavor :) than the spice bag, don't wanna get anyone started. I haven't seen any spice bags but I guess I will have to look. I bought a pair of hose a couple of years ago and just cut off enough to use. Glad to see they helped.