I was lucky yesterday!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I was working on my friends boat. We had the outdrive off the boat. Lonnie wanted to hear the motor run when he came over and to see our progress on his boat. So we hooked up the water hose to the proper place on the gimble to run it.<br /><br />Stupid me forgetting that the throttle was at WOT from removing the outdrive, I started the engine at the starter by jumping the solenoid. It cranked for a few seconds, backfired and started and went to wide open!. This is where I freaked out. I jumped from the stater side of the engine to the other to pull the throttle back. While I did this I rammed my leg just above the knee cap into the alternator fan blades! OOOUUUUCHHHHH. Then when I pulled the throttle cable back, I smashed my pinkie finger in the linkage as well. Saved the engine, but my pants got a nice hole ripped in them. My leg just got a burned spot about 2 inches long and an inch wide. I'm just lucky I didn't loose some flesh with it.<br /><br />So again I wish to thank those that helped me get rid of that bad luck hex from the past few months. :D

Link

Rear Admiral
Re: I was lucky yesterday!

Bad SS bad SS, you could have hurt the motor doing that! :D <br /><br />Yup looks like you are in fact lucky now. So many things could have went bad! Glad it turned out so well.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Geeez mate, you could have suffered some awful injuries there. I reckon it was good luck that you didn't eh!<br />So look on it as good luck and it'll change for you!!<br />Ross

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

My summer vacation is coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm doing my best not to get hurt prior to it. So I'm double checking and rechecking stuff before I turn it on.<br /><br />My leg wound which is about the size of half dollar is looking nasty. Went to the local medical and they said I had 3rd degree burn. So its going to take awhile to heal. I think I will stay away from my table saw for awhile, I don't think they can be as forgiving as the alternator was. BTW the starting system on the boat works now and it starts on the first tap of the key. Hope to take it out this weekend for a test run.<br /><br />UH, when can I take that opposum down that has been hanging on my back door? Its starting to smell and draw flies....Do I wait for a full moon or something?..... :D jus kidding about the opposum.....