I Want to buy the right Fish Finder

qod

Recruit
Hello All,<br /><br />I am searching the web for Fish Finders since few days, there are many of them.<br /><br />I need one which tells me the location of the fish and its size, I dont need anything else.<br /><br />Could someone please tell me of a Fish Finder device wich does that to me?<br /><br />High Quality device is recommended.<br /><br />Please advise.<br /><br />Thanks in advance. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I Want to buy the right Fish Finder

Yea that is a good one and welcome aboard.<br />I'm sure this will get moved.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

here's a picture of mine:<br /><br />
5736001-R2-017-7.jpg
<br /><br />just kidding, for freshwater I can recommend the Eagle Fishmark320 or 480, best value for the $$ in my opinion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What's the right fish finder for one application may not be the best for another. It all depends on how you are going to use it. Here is what I'm using and I'm very happy with it.<br /><br />FF

amirm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A fishfinder uses sound waves to provide you with a display that shows the bottom and any objects that bounce the audio signal back. The system shows a graphical display of where you are, and where you have been. So you can tell for example if the depth is geting shallower, or deeper. The unit also acts as nice digital depth meter.<br /><br />The fishfinder aspect comes into play as the air chamber in fish reflects the signal back. With experience, you will be able to tell when you fish pass below your boat.<br /><br />If you are not into fishing, the device is still quite useful in giving you a good view of what is below you.<br /><br />As for models, I really like the new Raymarine digital units. They call them HDFI or some such thing. The unit I have is quite expensive but now they have low cost units for a few hunderd dollars. Most people rave about Furuno but I find their dispalys really poor and their analog systems much more difficult to use (the digial Raymarine systems have auto gain which makes thema breeze to use).<br /><br />Amir

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Welcome to the board<br />I could not help you pick out a fish finder without knowing<br />how you are going to use it.<br />How deep will you be fishing?<br />What type of water do you fish?? Salt or Fresh.<br />What type fish do your fish for?<br />Do you troll, Drift or anchor?<br />Do you use down riggers?<br />Do you fish mostly flat bottom areas or mostly structure, rocks, dropoff?

cpj

Ensign

jtexas is right.the eagle fishmark 320 or 480 cant be beat for the $ (180 or so for the 320,200 or for the 480)the only diff in the two is the 480 has better resolution.i have the 320 and have no complaints at all.it has bulit in temp which is nice.i would love to have one with built in gps,but try to convince the wife of that. :) :)as far as telling how big the fish are,the only fair way to compare would to see 2 different fish on the screen,make a note of what they looked like on the screen,catch them both at the same time and compare them out of the water lol!you can get an idea though.by the way,I can see an 1/8 ounce jig on the screen of my 320 if I hold it directly under the transducer on my trolling motor.i can jig it up and down and make little squiggly lines on my screen(to much sun makes you do strange things)one word of advice is turn the fish id feature OFF,learn to read the fish arches.go to eagles website for a nice lesson on how they work along with actual pictures of the units in action