I wanna FISH!

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer
He guys. I will be going from freshwater to saltwater fishing this year. (Not looking to give up freshwater fishing)<br /><br />I am wondering if you could make any suggestions on a beginners rod, reel, and lures I might want to start with. I don't want to invest to much to start with (wife will see to that :p .<br /><br />I will be fishing out of the James River in Virginia. I will be starting out as a novice but am looking to get more into as I learn more. Any suggestions you have would be a great help.<br />Thanks.

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I wanna FISH!

Stop in and pick the brain of a couple local fishing shops to find the type of gear best suited for your needs. Then a quick trip to Wal-Mart to purchase your starter setup.<br /><br />After awhile you'll have a pretty good idea of what you want (Bigger, smaller ect) then you can put down the bucks for some good gear.<br /><br />Good luck.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do a Google search for the kind of fishing or conditions for your fishing and you find a plethora of articles on the net that will make you an expert with the right gear when you go on your first trip.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do a Google search for the kind of fishing or conditions for your fishing and you find a plethora of articles on the net that will make you an expert with the right gear when you go on your first trip.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can use your freshwater gear to a point. Any good quality MH spinning or casting combo will work just fine for many inshore species. I have hooked and landed fish up to 40 lbs on a 6'6" MH spinning rod with 6/30 Spiderwire. A 40lb redfish was landed last Memorial Day by a buddy using a 6'6" rod and a Shimano Symetre reel- not even a top-of-the-line reel! Take a Abu-Garcia 6500C3 reel on a musky style casting rod or a 4000 series Stradic on a BPS Bionic Blade and you'll be in business for not a ton of money. You can always upgrade later once you decide what species you plan to focus on. <br /><br /> Heck, I've watched guys fill the bucket with flounder using Zebco 33 combos. <br /><br />UFM82

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

UFM82 is right on the money! Them fish don't have a clue how much we spend on our gear. At times I feel they need to have more respect for me.... now that I bought some good stuff... but nah! I don't get no respect! But I do get fish!

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

My concern is with the corrosion of the freshwater gear. I know bass pro had some saltwater rod and reels for about $30 bucks. I figure I would buy one and see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you flush them out after use (gently) and do routine maintenance, most decent rigs will do well. I fish in nothing but salt and brackish water and use standard reels. Have never had a problem.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

What is the true difference between Freshwater and Saltwater Gear? I assume the parts they are made of. What about the length of the polses and the type of line used? I feel the need to learn.lol

olm

Seaman

Just a novice myself but my 2 cents worth. buy good stuff right of the bat. I went the other rout bought cheap stuff first and ended up replacing it. you never know what your going to get into in salt water and with chep gear you might not ever know what it was you had on. Good luck!

Old Jarhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Old Jarhead:<br /> Stop in and pick the brain of a couple local fishing shops to find the type of gear best suited for your needs. Then a quick trip to Wal-Mart to purchase your starter setup.<br /><br />After awhile you'll have a pretty good idea of what you want (Bigger, smaller ect) then you can put down the bucks for some good gear.<br /><br />Good luck.
Don't care for this advice?

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

All the advice on here has been good. Don't think I won't try them all. I got time since it is still 33 degrees today. :D Just trying to see what everyone else suggests also. Thanks for the advice Old Jarhead. My Pops got a couple of friends who Saltwater fish for a living and you can bet I will be pickin.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Monday it was 70 degrees<br />Tuesday it was 38 and rain and snow fell<br />Wednesday started 33 and so far it's 41 degrees. <br />On the plus side..............two weeks till the beginning of spring! :D :rolleyes: