I think I'm in trouble !!!! Help

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
So I have an add on tilt and trim and the motor runs but doesnt lift the motor up or down. I noticed everytime I manualy let the motor down some hydrolic fluid was comming out of the bottom. I thought it was the seal upon closer inspection I noticed the air and fluid was comming out of both sides of the Tee on the bottom of the cylender. so I was trying to tighten them then the Tee shered off the bottom of the cylender. What can I do I obviously need to replace the tee now but is the whole cylender ruined now. I cant find a tee anywere can someone please help!!!!!! 1974 115 hp evinrude

rrw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I think I'm in trouble !!!! Help

If its a brass fitting you should be able to get it out fairly easy with an easy out. It's not a standard hydraulic fitting?

71Windsor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I think I'm in trouble !!!! Help

i had a friends boat do the very same. we drilled it out after grinding what was left down flush and had the local tig welder weld in a threaded insert that accommodated the new fitting. originally we were just going to drill and tap it out but in fear it wouldnt make a very good seal we chose to weld. i called fastenal they have almost every single part that threads and told them what size we needed the inner threads to be they called it a threadsert easy enough lol. it was a very short insert only went into the cylinder maybe an eighth of an inch. fastenal even supplied the correct drill bit and new hydraulic fitting.

we tend to do things a little over kill but our boats run every day all year. so summery, we used a grinder tool the old one down flush to the cylinder, drilled it out and set the new threadsert in, took it to the tig welder who make it part of the cylinder, and we had a shop that repairs hydraulic lines crimp the new male fitting on for us. this way if the line goes we can just slap a new one on.

Home | Fastenal