I think I killed the microwave...

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I had a plate of chicken wings sitting in the microwave covered with aluminum foil. Seems I forgot about the foil when i started the microwave about 10 minutes later. After some loud popping I got the foil out of there and started it up again. Right when I hit the start button it popped for a little bit then operated normally, but about 30 seconds into it, it started popping wildly and didn't stop until I opened the door. There was no more metal in there by this point. Now when I push the button it just makes a loud buzzing type noise. I thought foil would just make fire, not destroy the thing? Any chance it isn't dead? This is a built in GE unit from 1979 BTW.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: I think I killed the microwave...

Anyone know how to play Taps on the keyboard?????<br /><br /><br />Ta, ta, da....Ta, ta, daaaaa.... Ta, ta, da, Ta,ta,da,Ta,ta,da....Taaaaa,taaaaaa,daaaa....Taaa taa,daaa.... Ta, ta, daaaaaaaaa!!!!<br /><br />Salute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yep BF/LD, she's a goner. May she RIP! ;)

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

She was a good microwave...served my family well for all those years. Impressed friends and guests with her rotary time dial, rather than push buttons. She will be interned indefinitely in her current location, as she is part of a built in oven/microwave combination unit, of which the oven still works. <br /><br />Thanks for your support through this tough time. ;) :D

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yep, your magnatron is shot and possibly the transformers also. Maybe repairable if parts are still available. Might be worth checking into.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Good idea, but unfortunately, the cost of parts will exceed the value in about 3 seconds, it's all part of out throw away society. Drop by Wally-World, they have a rotary time dial Micro-Wave for about $35, Ken

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A quick trip to the upstairs game room to get the other microwave solved the problem for free. I guess we can use the broken one for more cabinet space or something.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br /> Yep, your magnatron is shot and possibly the transformers also. Maybe repairable if parts are still available. Might be worth checking into.
Sounds painfull, :eek: Don't ya hate when that happens. :( :(

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Magnatron sounds like the NAME of a transformer...get it! hahaha ;)