I promise I looked...another battery question

Before I bombard everyone with my battery question or questions, I promise that I have scoured the forums for an answer to my scenario and have not found one. If it?s out there please feel free to share the link. So here?s another battery question. Sorry so lengthy, wanted you to understand what I'm doing...or not:

I have two Interstate 24M RD cranking batteries on my boat. The last time the batteries were on a charger was about 2 ? months ago. The last time I powered up the boat was a month ago ? with no problems - when I had it serviced for the season. I wanted to get it ready to take it out next week so last night I decided to connect my Schumacher Ship 'N Shore battery charger SSC-1500A - 15/10/2 amp selector to one of the batteries to start charging them. When I make the connection, the ?connected? led light does not come on indicating that it is connected, nor does the ?charging? light come on. I connected the battery charger to my car to ensure that it was not faulty and the ?connected? and ?charging? lights came on. I also tested the boat?s batteries with a digital volt meter and one did not read at all and the other initially read at 100% when touched but then starts to rapidly drop its reading to 0. I tested the volt meter on my car to ensure that the meter was also working and it did. I researched the Schumacher site and found that the automatic charger needs to ?see? at least 4 volts in the battery to power up the circuitry. This initializes the charge sequence. When a completely discharged battery, or one with less than 4 volts charge remaining, is attached to the charger, the charger never ?sees? this battery and will not begin the charging cycle. It will also cancel out the Engine Start function. The yellow charging light will also not come on.

The next thing I did was connected my Vector Emergency Portable Power Station to Battery 2 and set the switch to that battery. I waited about 5 minutes then tried to work the bilge pumps. Nothing. I turned on the bilge pump switch and also tried to manually empty the water triggering the bilge float. Nothing happened. I turned on the blowers and nothing. I thought the bilge pumps and blowers should be able to come on without starting the boat?.especially for safety reasons. I might be missing something here when using the Vector.

So my questions are:
1. Would it be best if I hooked up my shore power line (I have the adapter that hooks up to a regular outlet) and set battery switch to both? Maybe this will help trickle some juice in the batteries then I can hook up the battery charger?

2. Is there anything I can do to charge up these batteries or are my batteries shot and I need to replace them?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I promise I looked...another battery question

Sorry, ATD. Just too many words in one big black block to quickly get an idea of your problem.

Try simplifying and breaking up into smaller paragraphs.

Tell us what the batteries read on a hydrometer.

Thanks JB for taking the time to reply. I know it was a mouthful.

I attempted to recharge my batteries with a battery charger. When I made the connection and powered the battery charger I noticed that the LED lights on the battery charger that are suppose to come on to indicate that the battery is charging did not. I tested the charger on my car to make sure that the charger was working properly and the LED lights came on indicating that it was connected and charging.

I then tested the boat?s batteries with a digital volt meter. One of the batteries did not read at all. The other battery initially read at 100% when touched but then started to rapidly drop its reading to 0. I also tested the volt meter on my car to ensure that the meter was also working and it did.

I researched the Schumacher site, maker of my battery charger, and found that the battery charger needs to ?see? at least 4 volts in the battery to power up the circuitry. This initializes the charge sequence. When a completely discharged battery, or one with less than 4 volts charge remaining, is attached to the charger, the charger never ?sees? this battery and will not begin the charging cycle. It will also cancel out the Engine Start function. The connected/charging lights will also not come on.

I connected an emergency portable power station to Battery 2 and set the switch to that BATT 2. I waited about 5 minutes then tried to turn on the bilge pumps. Nothing happened. I also tried to turn on the blowers and nothing.

So my questions are:

1. How can I find out if my batteries are shot and need to replace?

2. Should I hook up my shore power line (which have the adapter that hooks up to a regular outlet) and set battery switch to BOTH? Maybe this will help trickle some juice in the batteries then I can hook up the battery charger?

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

Starting batteries sitting for a spell @ 0 volts usually greatly diminishes or destroys them. I would get new ones and find out where your power drain is coming from. Do you need two starting batteries (2 engines?). If not, I would put in one deep cycle.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are a few really simple things to check before you drive yourself over the edge. First, disconnect the battery cables from the dead battery and clean the terminals. While you have them off, use your voltmeter to touch the posts of the battery. If it still reads zero the battery is stone dead and you cannot charge a stone dead battery. It's generally replacement time. Anyway, try the charger directly on the battery posts. The reason I had you remove the cables, was if the connection was corroded or loose and you connected the charger to the terminals rather the battery posts, the charger will not see the voltage. Very fine line but this is a very common problem. You could reconnect the cables, set the switch to BOTH and let the battery soak for an hour or so. Then set the switch to OFF and try the charger. If it doesn't work, head for the store for a new battery. NEVER leave a battery discharged. It kills them. Install a two output on-board charger, plug in at the dock or wherever you store the boat and leave it. They can be left on indefinitely.

thanks for the responses.

fishmen: I only have one engine - IO Mercruiser 350. These are the batteries that were on the boat when I boat it 3 months ago.

silvertip: when you say
"...let the battery soak for an hour or so. " are you talking about letting them charge by the shore power line?

I'm going to try your recommendation silvertip. These are driving me crazy-lessoned learned.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Nope -- I meant turn the battery switch to BOTH, no shore power. Let the dead battery suck the life out the good one. Then switch back to the dead battery and now try and charge it with your charger. If it still won't take a charge, it's toast. Charge the good battery immediately after you are done with this process so you don't kill that one too.