I/O vs. Outboard - Saltwater

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice
I live on a Caribbean island so the boat is always in saltwater. Right now I have a Persuit console cabin with twin Johnson outboards. I'd like to get something like a Searay cuddy cabin with a closed cooled Mercruiser or Volvo Penta I/O but everyone around here says the salt will kill it. Why? It's made of the same aluminum isn't it? I see some I/O boats around here, but I'm also told no one works on them. I do a lot of work myself, but don't have a shop with a lift or special tools.

So why no I/O in saltwater?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: I/O vs. Outboard - Saltwater

Raw water cooled I/O systems are common here in NJ and lots of other places with saltwater. Saltwater takes many years to rot out blocks, however, manifolds and risers need replacement every 5 or so years, if used in saltwater.

If you plan to have closed cooling, try to get the full system where the manifolds are FWC as well as the block. Also, make sure you can buy replacement risers in your area, or have then shipped in. Osco makes quality aftermarket mannys and risers for many popular I/O motors.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Why? It's made of the same aluminum isn't it?

I/O use nothing more than converted car blocks. Cast iron blocks, cast Iron Intake Manifolds, Cast iron exhaust.

Jayboid

Seaman Apprentice

When your outboards are not being used, they are lifted out of the salt water. With the I/O, your lower unit is soaking in salt water 24/7.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

When your outboards are not being used, they are lifted out of the salt water. With the I/O, your lower unit is soaking in salt water 24/7.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure if I would leave the boat in the water all the time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

So what if the outdrive is in the saltwater all the time? Paint it with antifouling paint, make sure the anodes are in good shape and forget. it is made for that purpose. Just make sure you keep it filled with fresh gear oil, change it midseason and at the end of the season (if you have seasons), and try to keep the barnicles out of the water intakes.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The new Volvo drive has some amazing anti-corrosive options added to it with a host of cool new sensors. I think it is called the Ocean X.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

:eek: OMG :eek:

Maybe this answers my question........6 year old Bayliner........Tampa.......WOW.........! :eek: Needs a new motor, too!

Looking at outboards now.......:D

Attachments

• IO in Salt.jpg
    IO in Salt.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the above picture.
welcome to my world.
thats what happens when you park it and walk away for a few months.
get many every year that way.
on owning a stern drive in most the carribean or south american places I have been.
would not happen.
parts are difficult and expensive and technician training is slim to non existent.
your area may be different.

VI-Doug

Seaman Apprentice

parts are difficult and expensive and technician training is slim to non existent.
your area may be different.

No, I'm sure my area is even harder to find trained people in. My A/C business thrives due to a severe lack of trained techs in the area. I only know of one guy who works on sterndrives and I'm not sure I trust him. I plan to do most of my own work, but I don't have a shop with lifts and such to be pulling out engines, and risers/manifolds looks like a pain in the butt to replace. At least I can lift the parts on an outboard, and don't have to crawl around on my stomach reaching into places I can't even see.

ChrisAG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what if the outdrive is in the saltwater all the time? Paint it with antifouling paint, make sure the anodes are in good shape and forget. it is made for that purpose. Just make sure you keep it filled with fresh gear oil, change it midseason and at the end of the season (if you have seasons), and try to keep the barnicles out of the water intakes.

All things being equal I would think the option to tilt the motor out of the water would be a potential labor saver. Even without the corrosion issue, having the motor tilted out will reduce algae etc. growth on the lower unit, and in the lower cooling passages.