I/O opinions vs all others

adm

Cadet
I am in the process of searching for a used 28/32 foot boat with a good combination of fishing and overnight capability. My concern is the reliability and expense of maintaining the I/O drive systems that are available. It appears that the newer used boats, 95 models and newer, are all I/O systems. Is it worth the extra effort to find a V-drive and avoid the I/O systems? Are the I/O's as bad as I've been lead to believe???<br /><br />thanks,<br />adm

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I/O opinions vs all others

Adm:<br /><br />There are pros and cons to both systems. IOs are significantly quicker with the same power, they allow you to access shallow water and if you clip a prop you can change it on the spot, and replace it or repair it for a lower cost. The trade off is corrosion, especially in salt water. If you select IOs make sure they have Mercathode systems (If Mercruisers) and new anodes of the correct type. Keep the finish in good shape and they will last, with the exception of certain model years of Bravo III drives which have major corrosion problems.<br /><br />As for V-Drives, the pros are better handling in close quarters and docking and no corrosion issues.<br /><br />Both systems require routine fluid changes and while the V-drives can be serviced without pulling the boat, some drives are quite awkward to work on due to limited access. Major work on a V-drive can be quite expensive since the whole motor and drive must be pulled.

adm

Cadet

Thanks for the quick response, good points that I hadn't considered on the I/O's. <br />I guess the next question would be, What is considered the most reliable of the I/O's when coupled to a 350 or 454? <br />Which brings up the additional question of whether I should be searching for EFI engines?<br />I've sort of narrowed the search to I/O Bayliners (2858/2859 95' and up)with a single 454/350 or a 32' with twin 350's and some Searays with v-drive 350's. I'm looking at these because I don't have a problem pulling or rebuilding a GM product. It's all about my $$$$.<br />Any and all comments and suggestions about boats and drives new or used are welcome. I'm learning-I think!!!<br /><br />adm

Bondo

Staff member

Stay Away From the Bayliners.....<br />Over-Priced,+ Under-Built.....<br />In a boat that big, You'll want Either a Big Block, Or Twin Small Blocks....

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

adm:<br /><br />Having owned a few single IOs and now twin v-drives, I would stay away from a single on a 28' or larger boat. They can be a real handfull docking in winds and current. In the 28' to 32' range V6s or small blocks would be great. Jumping up to twin big blocks can take I real bite out of your wallet at the fuel dock. I know from experience.<br /><br />Regardless of what power you opt for, make sure you sea trial the boat to ensure that it has enough power for the boat and the load you would normally carry.<br /><br />Finally, don't buy into the Bayliners are ##@@&& myth. Like everything else, you get what you pay for. If you can pass on a fancy interior and some extras, Bayliners are a great buy. The structure and mechanicals are as good as any in the Brunswick line, you just have to take a pass on some of the frills and luxury appointments.

adm

Cadet

Thanks again for the input. It is most helpful in the decision making process.<br /><br />adm

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

adm-my boss has his personal boat for sale...a Formula 26 Express...click on the used boat link at: marine center he's the owner of GCMC and our I/O guru :cool:

adm

Cadet

I took a look, not big enough.<br />thanks,<br />adm

drgaul

Cadet

adm twin drives sound good, if one goes down you still get home, i think. if you work on gms you know 350's are cheeper to fix and replace, just a thought.drg :eek: