I/O Newbie Looking for advice based on lil info

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice
---$500 OBO
1979 18'7" Bayliner Cudy Cabin
I/O 4 cyl Chevy II Mercruiser
Engine runs strong.
Clanking noises coming from OD, especially in reverse.
Trailer in fair shape.
Brand New Starter
Brand New Water Pump
Brand New Exhaust Boot
Brand New Plugs
Brand New Fuel/Water filter
Title and Trailer Registration---

Okay so i have been looking for a project to turn into a bay boat and I have found this one on craigslist. Problem is that I have never owned an I/O motor nor do I know that much about them. So for my questions if anyone out there can help me.
1: Which motor might this be? Is this the 2.5L 120 merc?
2: Which outdrive might this be? Would this in fact be a merc or could I actually be looking at an omc?
3: What kind of economy and performance might I be looking at from this type of setup?
I have not seen this boat in person but looks decent in the pictures and for $500 you can't get much nowadays. So I figure that if it might be a decent setup I would give it a shot at a resto. I just don't want to make the mistake I made giving my Force outboard a shot..........I should have sank it in the lake the first time it broke and bought a Johnyrude. Thanks for taking time to help guys.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I/O Newbie Looking for advice based on lil info

i would walk from this POS
no such thing as a cheap boat
you will probably end up spending a ton of money into it

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice

i would walk from this POS
no such thing as a cheap boat
you will probably end up spending a ton of money into it

Thanks but that is why I have termed it as a project/resto. I already have 3 running boats but not a cuddy. It will keep me occupied for a few months then I can take it out and use it in the gulf for swimming from and maybe some light fishing or whatever. I was just wanting to know what type of drivetrain this might be and if in working order if it performs to a level that I might be satisfied with.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it could be a 3.0 140 hp or the 120 hp version of the 4 cylinder.
I say go for it for $500 especially if the engine runs good but the outdrive needs work. Interior and floors can be more expensive than some of the other stuff, (ask me how I know).

I'd say feel the floor reeeeaaaal good, bounce on it. Check transom reeeaaaall good, poke around with awl or ice pick.

I've read people replacing legs real cheap by trolling ebay and CL.

In the end if you have a good boat and have spent $2,000 fixing her up like new it's worth it in my opinion.

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh and as for performance, mines a 17' 140HP trihull and I get about 40 MPH which for me is just fine but I'm from PA and usually go out on mostly glassy lakes.