I need to use chocke all the time

cacervera

Cadet
hello everyone,<br />PLEASE HELP!!!! :( <br />I have a 90 HP Jhonson, I think is the carburators that are giving me the problem but Im not sure. I have used one of those carburator cleaners, I have changed filters, cleaned the gas tank and still. When I try to go forward the engine starts going fine but it wont last not even a minute and slows down by itself, (like if it was lack of gas)and when I use the chocke it picks up normally, but I have to use the chocke at all times. What could it be? the carbs are durty? and if so, how can I clean them?. I also noticed that there is something that looks like a valve that regulates the gas, where is supposed to be, it was totally closed and I put it in the middle.<br />Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my problems. Take care!!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: I need to use chocke all the time

Most likely you are correct -- it's the carbs. DO NOT run it again until after they have been disassembled and cleaned with QUALITY kits installed. Check compression while youre at it.<br /><br />Good luck!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

....unless that "something that looks like a valve that regulates the gas" is really the fuel tank vent. Where is this "valve"? If it's on the tank, it should be open all the way. Just a guess.<br />c/6<br />hooty

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most Johnson carbs have a manual choke lever mounted in the carb linkage. It looks like a shut-off valve. Turning this half-way would, in effect, choke your motor. If there is metering valve it should be in the fuel line somewhere not in the motor but it should be always full open as carbs do the metering.<br />Rebuild your carbs including high speed jetting which are located under small inset caps. A little dirt does hurt.<br />Good luck<br />Mike

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a simular problem with my 86 110hp v4. Ended up being clogged high idle jets. I tried the rebuild myself unsucessfully. I failed because I did not soak the carbs in cleaner, I thought spraying them down would be good enough. If you do the job yourself make sure you soak the carb good. Other than that the rebuild is fairly simple. Good luck.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't notice any discussion of fuel pump or primer bulb, V4. It would be unusual for all carbs to go bad at once, but there is only one fuel pump and one primer bulb. Either could restrict fuel flow enough to cause your problem. A clogged up filter, if you have one, could cause the same trouble, too.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree JB. Sometimes the small obvious things are the easiest overlooked. Try squeezing the primer bulb when motor starts to stall out. If it returns to normal change it. <br />Mike

cacervera

Cadet

Thank you all for your help and tips. I have solved the problem.<br />I took the carbs down to clean them and there was really nothing to clean, they were fairly clean, but the fuel pump and the filter were very rusted inside, so I went to the Jhonson dealer and got a new one and installed. Problem gone! :)

Mike M2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I might add it is never a good idea to spray carb cleaner into your carbs. It is not an oil gas mixture like a 2 stroke needs in order to lubricate.