I need steering help. Thanks in advance.

02torched

Cadet
This is my first post on this forum so I would like to preface by thanking everyone who takes the time here to help others.

I just bought a 1997 Sea Ray 215 that is very hard to steer. There is no difference in turning the wheel if the boat is running or not. It takes both hands to turn the steering wheel. The boat has the teleflex rack and pinion power steering system. I am trying to remove the engine side of the steering cable to see if its the cable thats bad however I cant seem to get the steering cable nut off. Here is a picture of what i am trying to do.

34g2ahi.jpg

When I turn the silver nut on the steering cable the threads turn too. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I need steering help. Thanks in advance.

You can hold the tube with a pipe wrench (if you can get in there). But just disconnecting the link at the other end of the tube will let you figure out if it is the steering cable or something else. Don't crush the tube with pliers. It is expensive. You may also want to conside taking off the exhaust elbow to give yourself more room to work.
--Jim

02torched

Cadet

You can hold the tube with a pipe wrench (if you can get in there). But just disconnecting the link at the other end of the tube will let you figure out if it is the steering cable or something else. Don't crush the tube with pliers. It is expensive. You may also want to conside taking off the exhaust elbow to give yourself more room to work.
--Jim

Thanks for the response. I got the steering cable off and took the pin out and the steering wheel turns easily so I know the cable is fine. I also took the second pin out which allows the out drive to move freely. This tells me that the problem is either the power steering pump or the steering hydraulic unit. What is my next step to determine which one it is? When I look at the fluid it is red but seems very thin almost like water. Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it feels the same if the engine is running or off, I'd suspect the pump (after you checked things like loose belt, pinched hoses). I have never had to work on a boat power steering system before, so I wouldn't know what to look for. Sorry.