I need some help

Jimmy310

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, first off let me say this is one of my favorite forums on the web. It contains much information most others don't.

OK now to my problem. I have a 1967 Mercury 650 SL. I will bore you with a bit of a background on it. It had been garaged since 1980 until a few weeks ago when I bought it. To my pleasant surprise it was immaculate. Once I changed the impeller and the lower unit oil/lube, checked the spark plugs, went over the whole motor. I fired it up. I ran it for a couple of times just for a min. to make sure nothing was stuck.

1.I had an issue with it overheating so I broke down and bought a Seloc manual only to discover the impeller was facing the wrong way :redface:
2.The copper water tube was not set into the upper unit correctly :redface:
3.Thus I was not getting the "pee" stream on the outboard.

I corrected the above things and blew out the lines with my compressor. I noticed a chunk of rubber come out. It must have been there from one of the previous impellers since the one I took off was in good shape and nothing missing.
Now its "peeing" like it should but a new problem arose. :eek:

Now I have water coming out of the spark plugs (#2)?
I am hoping it is not a cracked engine and only a gasket or tightening something.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Re: I need some help

its no big deal. you have a leaking waterjacket gasket. you can pick one up at any merc dealer for under 20bucks and replace it in about an hour. some of the bolts are a little hard to reach but it can be done.

Jimmy310

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I need some help

Looks like my gasket is no longer available.

What can I use to make my own gasket?

Thanks for the reply