i need parts and dont know where to look

Garfeld

Recruit
just picked up an 83 glastron it has a valvo penta in it the engine is seized want to rebuild it but don't know where to get parts.is there anywhere like summit racing I can go for parts

tpenfield

Staff member
Remove the outdrive to determine if it is the engine or the outdrive that is seized.

What size engine? The engine should be either a Ford or a GM. For V6 & V8 GM engines will have the distributor on the back of the engine. If the engine is seized, then you probably will be taking it apart to further assess. That will determine what parts/machining is needed.

Post some pictures when you can, that always helps with responses.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just picked up an 83 glastron it has a valvo penta in it the engine is seized want to rebuild it but don't know where to get parts.is there anywhere like summit racing I can go for parts
first, welcome aboard

next, you need to identify the motor. if its a 4-cylinders, its most likely a volvo only motor . look up parts for old volvo cars from the early 1980's

if its an in-line 6-cylinder, its most likely a volvo only motor. again, old volvo cars

if its a V8, it will be a GM based motor for 1983. any place that sells pars.

however if you need a rebuild, you need to fully inspect what you have, fully machine everything, then buy parts. your local machine shop will help you there. Never buy parts before fully machining or you spend twice as much in parts as pistons and rings are not returnable

As Ted stated, post pictures of what you have. there will also be a decal on top the motor such as AQ120 or AQ205. this will identify what you have as well.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
83 glastron, guessing slant 4 volvo motor

It's seized? Yeah, like suggested remove the drive or at least the top gearbox/u joint assembly to verify.

Post some pictures of your setup. We like pictures. A picture(s) will help identify the motor and drive. Plus, we'll be able to see your boat and really scrutinize the condition

Got any pics?