I need more Help

BradJFelix

Cadet
OK so I am really confused. I have a 1977 70hp Evinrude. For some reason it won't start on its own, if I spray some fuel mixture into the carbs then I can get it going. Everynow and then it will die and I won't be able to get it going again till I start messing around with things. today I took it for a ride went wakeboarding slowed down to dock it and it stalled and now it won't refire does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks for the help in advance

1977 Evinrude 70hp Ok so I am completely confused. The last few times I have starting my boat I have had to spray fuel/oil mixture into the carbs to get it to fire. Usually from there it runs great if I let it sit for a little while I have to do the same thing again. Today I got it fired took a hot lap around the lake on my wakeboard came in slowed down it died and we could not get it going. A storm came in let it sit threw more fuel mixture into it and it fired up. I let it run for a little bit. Stopped it to throw the cover back on went to refire it and it wouldn't start again. I don't know what is going on Any help would be appreciated though. Thank you very much in advance. I am ready to buy another bought at this point.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I need more Help

have you check spark, compression? when were the carbs last dismantled, cleaned and a rebuild kit installed? how old is the gas? what exactly is start messing around with things?

BradJFelix

Cadet

Compression test and carbs were both rebuilt last year. I took the carbs all apart after it did this the first time and after I got them back together it started ok. I don't know it if was a time issue seeing as how it took some time to take the carbs apart. I need to check for spark that is my next issue. Why would it run when I spray it with mixture then and then die sometimes

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why would it run when I spray it with mixture then and then die sometimes

You must have missed something while in the carbs. Were new kits installed? Tashasdaddy has created a great Frequently Asked Questions article regarding the cleaning of your carbs. You should really take a look at it.........

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013

Can you keep the outboard running via squeezing the bulb? Like TD, I'm curious as to what you meant when you said, "started messing around with things?"...... :-/

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your post have been combined. double post is not appreciated on the forums.

BradJFelix

Cadet

Ok so I took all the carbs off cleaned them with carb cleaner and compressed air. Put them back on adjusted the carbs and the boat started. I let it idle for a while shut it off. Started it a couple more times on its own meaning without the fuel mixture being sprayed into the carbs. I did this about 4 times throughout the day. Later that night I took it for a slow cruise around the lake. As I was coming into the dock I slowed down and it stalled I could not get it to refire and its been sitting there since. I can't imagine what it could be. I thought I was golden since it was starting on its without the fuel mixture. Is there anything that would shut it off if it was overheating that is the only thing I can thing of right now that maybe its not cooling properly and its overheating and shutting down? Thanks for the help