I Need help

ricstoner989

Cadet
I have a 97 75hp force motor,after changing the prop,do to a spun hub or so I thought. The motor goes into gear but once in gear the prop stops moving and the motor revs up. Keep in mind that while in neutral the prop still spins when the motors running. Is there anyone who has a clue as to what the problem could be?

ricstoner989

Cadet
Re: I Need help

No it hasn't been off i def think it's a lU problem.How much do u think it will cost?

Nick Godfrey

Seaman Apprentice

I just had this same thing happen to my Force 50 and didnt know what happened until I found the lower gear housing cracked, as well as the prop bearing cup. It would spin out of water beacause the gears would just barely grab, but with any pressure they slipped and the motor just spun.

ricstoner989

Cadet

What did u end up having to do?It's my first boat and I would really like to get some time on it in the next couple of days!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile? You might be close to someone who can help.
Good prop? Check the linkage.Unhook the linkage and shift by hand. See if it still does it.
Then check the gear oil for chunks and pieces.J

ricstoner989

Cadet

Profile? You might be close to someone who can help.
Good prop? Check the linkage.Unhook the linkage and shift by hand. See if it still does it.
Then check the gear oil for chunks and pieces.J

I check the linkage everything is but I didn't try to shift it by hand i'll try that then let u know how it goes.

Nick Godfrey

Seaman Apprentice

Well, if you have anything cracked in your lower unit you might as well start looking for a new one. I found a few on eBay which is where mine is comming from for $350, which is quite reasonable considering a gear alone can run you $300. Hopefully this isn't the case for you, but if it is, it's really not thst hard to swap them out. This is my first boat too, and I'm definitely learning stuff the hard way!

ricstoner989

Cadet

Yeah i figured out what it was,the prop shaft is broke so after taking it to a guy i trust at the marina the total bill for parts an labor is 600$ thats including getting a weld on the skeg so