I NEED HELP! with my setup.

Q_ball

Seaman
So I just got my restoration project in the water for the first time to test it out. Not so good, I can only get 6.4 mph out of her. here's some info-
'72 14'6" Tri-Hull
'86 Mercury 45hp classic 50
'89 Mariner 5hp kicker
I picked up the motor off a 20+ft pontoon boat and replaced the stator,trigger and rectifier since each had at least one wire the was a little burned, but it ran fine on muffs when I bought it (better safe than sorry). I tuned it up yesterday setting timming, linkage ect.
after I passed the no wake zone I slowly gace it some throttle but it bogged down real heavy after about 1/4 throttle and just got worse to full where i reached my max of 6.4 mph at 3700 rpm's. the really bad part was when I tested the 5hp kicker I got up to 6.6mph. THE WIFE WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE 3 1/2 YEAR PROJECT!
I knew I would have a lot of tuning and weight transfer to get her running smoth but not this bad.

The help I really need is what prop should I start off with that will get me in the ballpark. I have no clue. The prop that is on now is a 9" pitch I think, it has 48-87818 A10 9P stamped on it.

The worse part is my boss is flying in later this week and is expecting a fishing trip since he gave me a few weeks off last year to work on it.

Q_ball

Seaman
Re: I NEED HELP! with my setup.

After posting I started reading more about prop design and if I understand correctly with my 9" prop my motor should be way up in the rpm's not down below 4k. So I think I may still have some motor issues I need to look at tomorrow.

etracer68

Ensign

I would do a compression check first, then go through the carbs completely, if the compression is good. I would think a 13p, would be more suitible, but motor has to run right first, before a prop change.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You may want to post this in the Mercury repair forum.
If it sat around for a long time the fuel system may be fouled up.

Q_ball

Seaman

well.... compression checks out but no spark on bottom two cylinders. swaped wires around from the ignition module and the problem stays with the bottom two comming out of the module, coils are good. guess its to replace the module.

If a moderater can move this to the mercury forum or someone can tell me how. Its not a prop issue at this point.