I need help!!! '77 Evinrude 70hp Won't Start

BradJFelix

Cadet
Hey guys I need some help. I have a 77 Evinrude 70hp. I recently purchased it and I am trying to get it running. The guy I bought it from had all the carbs rebuilt last year and it ran last summer I saw the $500.00 receipt. I can't get it to start. I can get it to run when I spray fuel into the carbs but not on its own. I pulled the main line off to the center carb where the fuel comes and pumped the primer ball and I had fuel there. When I pump the ball it pumps up tight and I see no fuel coming from the carbs thinking maybe the needle in the float area was stuck open.

I can't imagine that all 3 of those needles would be stuck closed especially after it being worked on last year. My battery is good and it obviously has spark or it would not run when I sprayed the fuel straight into the carbs. I messed around with the kill switch thinking that was it but then realized that if I can get it to run when I spray the fuel in that it would not be an issue with that. Does anyone have any direction to send me in. Thanks a lot in advance I appreciate it.

Brad

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I need help!!! '77 Evinrude 70hp Won't Start

if it were put up with out treated fuel, the carbs could very well be crudded up. have you check compression and spark on all 3. spark should jump 1/2 inch, compression over 100 psi and with in 10%.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

couple questions:
When you get it started, by spraying fuel into the carbs, does it keep running or die almost immediately?

Have you got to run long enough to warm up to operating temp?

Describe your cold start procedure.

BradJFelix

Cadet

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I got it running shortly after not quite sure what did it I messed with the kill switch a couple of time and pulled and flushed all the fuel lines. But she fired the only thing is now when you put the cover back on it runs like crap when I take it off it goes like the wind I am hoping someone has an idea what I can adjust to fix this. At worst I will drill holes in the cover to let some air in. Thanks again

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The same problem with me, runs great without the cowling but when I put it on it dies when I try to take off.

JB

You either have exhaust leaking inside the cowling, strangling the engine, or the cowling is shorting the ignition or pinching a fuel line.

Do not start drilling the cowling. It is designed to work as is.

BradJFelix

Cadet

That would make a lot of sense and maybe be the reason why I am getting water inside the cowling area. It looks like the gasket that sits on the bottom of the power head which I am assuming is the exhaust area is leaking. There is definitely water coming in that area. You think that could be the reason???

JB

Yup. A classic.

BradJFelix

Cadet

Let me ask you have you ever changed one? How in depth of a project is this. I would like to do it myself. I changed a pinion gear in my 69 Johnson so I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I just don't want to get into a project where I need all kinds of special tools and have my engine lying around in pieces. http://www.crowleymarine.com/brp_parts/diagrams/32903.cfm in this diagram I have #18 & #83 I am hoping that its one of those two gaskets. thanks for the help its appreciated