I need direction

dave68iou1

Seaman
I recently purchased a 1985 Thundercraft Citation with a 3 litre Mercruiser 140 engine. I have a leak coming in that allows approximately 2 inches of water in a period of an hour and a half. From what I can gather, I will need to replace the bellows? I have basic mechanical skills (can replace brakes, water pumps, etc. on cars) but don't know how large a job this will be. I'm not even sure what service manual I would be looking for as many of these terms are new to me. On the motor itself, I found a few placards and I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.
Engine. Mercruiser 140, Model MCM140. S/N A433050
Drive Unit: A462307
Transom Assembly: A467994.

Can somebody help me with the following?
1) What shop manual or service manual will help me?
2) What part number for a transom seal kit can I use?
3) What special tools will I need? Alignment tool? Hinge pin tool? Belows expander?

I hear about alpha, alpha one drives, bravo series, etc. and am not sure where to begin. I would like to get this project underway ASAP and need to order the parts. Thank you for any and all help you can give me!

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: I need direction

By the way, when you click on the link that Reel Poor gave, when you go to the bottom of the page, on the left hand side you can click on the appropriate area you want to go to. It is easy to miss.

Here's another site with good info:
How Do I...

dave68iou1

Seaman

Thank you for the replies, but can someone help me with questions 2 and 3? I am also unclear on question one as the manual is for all types... Thanks!

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Go here to Mercury Parts Express, Enter your drive serial number in the box then click continue. You will then see a list of all the different sections of the drive listed. To find your bellows part numbers click on the bell housing section, then click continue. Pictures on the right and corresponding part numbers on the left.

dave68iou1

Seaman

I have everything dissasembled and am now adding a shift cable to the repair list.... limited patience I guess. While looking at the water hose connection, I noticed it seems to be loose in the transom. Is there supposed to be any play in the copper line that runs through the transom and if not, can I get away with sealing it with some sort of silicone sealrer? Is there a seal kit for this line? Am I worrying for nothing? Thanks again for your help in all of this!

dave68iou1

Seaman

Anyone? Just wanted to bump this thread as I will be working on the boat tomorrow and can use some advice. Thank You!

Bondo

Staff member

While looking at the water hose connection, I noticed it seems to be loose in the transom. Is there supposed to be any play in the copper line that runs through the transom

I believe there's Supposed to be a Rubber Grommet there..........

Replacing it would be Much Better than just goobering it up with sealant.........