I need community information

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
OK,<br />I just found out where my next assignment is.<br />I will be getting assigned to Beale AFB, CA. I know it is in Yuba County, near Marysville and Wheatland. Just north of Sacramento. <br /><br />I would like to know if there is anybody on here who knows about this area. If so, can you direct me on where to live, where not to live, housing prices to rent and/or to buy, etc. <br /><br />I will be moving there around June/July. I will be driving down from AK. I will create a website to post the pics of our trip.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for all the help and information.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Homerr

Commander
Re: I need community information

I can't advise on California as I am not familiar enough with that area, but if you need anything while passing through Southern Oregon, let me know... I'll see what I can do!<br /><br /><br />On your way back, can I hide in your suit case? I'd love to see Alaska. Problem is... I might not go back home once I get there!<br /><br />H.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

LOL,<br />Thanks for the offer Homer. I would love to bring you back up to AK with me when I go. I think you would probably stay also. It is a place you either love or hate. I happen to love it. I am not looking forward to the really hot weather, but will deal with it. Maybe it will spark my metabolism and I will lose a few pounds. :D Lord knows I could use to...hehe.<br /><br />AK Chappy

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

I used to visit friends in the area fairly often, but they went and moved to Peru on me about 4 years ago. I'm not nearly as familiar as I need to be to give really good advice, but there are areas which ane not great because of neighborhood, as exists everywhere. And then about once every 40 or 50 years when we actually get a lot of rain the river can rise and flood in some areas. There is a (for the area) large former mall which I imagine still sits vacant 20 some years later. It was so new it wasn't even fully occupied when the flood hit. For some reason all the huge drainage pumps were removed some years ago because they were never needed. Go figure. BUT, it might be another 50 years before any repeat of that happens again. It is NOT common. And of course there are still many high ground areas- probably most areas are higher. In general expect no more than 8 and 12 inches of rain per year. Summer can be commonly 105 but fairly dry, averaging around 100. Winter can get foggy but not much below freezing even at night. Normally above freezing during the day. Nobody uses block heaters on their cars, has studded tires, or carries chains unless they travel to the nearby Sierras. You'll think you moved to the desert except for lots of agriculture in the area.<br /><br />My dim recollection was that Linda and Olivehurst were not better areas, though there may be exceptions.<br /><br />Too bad you weren't being transferred to Castle (civillian now for 10 years, doggone it). I could tell you much more about this area.<br /><br />I really have not kept up on housing prices, and they have as a rule been rising rapidly over much of Ca. If anything Beale area will be a bit less affected. A lower end home sold for under $80K ten years ago. Now, I have little idea. My area, which has folks commuting to the Bay area unlike up there, it has gone much higher, like triple. My wild guess is that the area will have perhaps doubled in price since then.<br /><br />Hopefully someone closer to that area will give you better information.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

By the way, you won't exactly be in the big city up there. In some ways it will be more like Arkansas than the stereotypical Calif. But Sacramento is an easy day trip if you need anything you can't find locally.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

www.realtor.com<br />enter city name<br />display properties<br />select a property<br />below the listing you can get a neighborhood and school system comparison or report<br /><br />Here is what it says for Marysville CA.<br /><br /><br />There are several public school systems in this ZIP code area.  Click on a name below to get more information about any of these school systems.<br /><br />  Marysville w/Lindhurst schools (Yuba)<br />  Marysville w/Marysville schools (Yuba)<br />  Plumas ESD w/Wheatland schools (Yuba)<br />  Plumas ESD w/Lyndhurst schools (Yuba)<br /><br /><br />If you are interested in a property in this ZIP code, consult the listing agent to identify the system that serves the property of interest to you.<br /><br /><br /> Dominant Lifestyle Profiles <br />A variety of factors make up the Lifestyle Profiles<br /><br /><br /> 26.18% of residents in this area fit the following profile:<br /><br />   <br />Demographic:<br />Median age, 32.4 years, represents the gap between householders under 25 and over 75 years. (national average)<br />Socioeconomic:<br />Median household income is $21,400.<br />About 60 percent of households earn less than $25,000.<br />The rates of unemployment and poverty are twice the national averages.<br />Residential:<br />Most of the housing is older, built before 1950.<br />Single-family units, duplexes and quads account for most of the housing.<br /><br /><br /> 13.37% of residents in this area fit the following profile:<br /><br />   <br />Demographic:<br />Median age is 35.6 years; slightly older with more householders aged 35-44 and fewer under 25 years.<br />Seventy percent of households are couples, compared to 55 percent for the U.S. national average<br />Family size is average, 3.1 persons per family.<br />Socioeconomic:<br />Median household income is $33,300.<br />Represents almost 8 percent of U.S. households and a market share of almost 7 percent.<br />Almost 35 percent of households earn less than $25,000, but very few are below the poverty level.<br />Unemployment, 5.2 percent, is below the national average.<br />Most of the work force is employed in manufacturing or farming.<br />Thirty percent commute to a different county or state to work.<br />Residential:<br />Single-family and mobile homes predominate.<br />More than 15 percent are mobile homes, which is twice the national average.<br />Homes are owner-occupied and valued at 30 percent lower than the national average.<br />Most homes were built after 1970.<br /><br /><br /> 10.36% of residents in this area fit the following profile:<br /><br />   <br />Demographic:<br />Median age is 28.5 years.<br />The average family size is 3.8, which is 19 percent higher than the U.S. average.<br />Socioeconomic:<br />Median household income is $23,900.<br />Represents 2.5 percent of U.S. households.<br />50 percent of the adults age 25 or older have completed high school.<br />Unemployment and poverty are close to twice the national average.<br />Employment is primarily part-time employment.<br />More than 7 percent of the labor force is involved in the farming industry, twice the U.S. average.<br />Residential:<br />Most of the homes are single-family or mobile homes.<br />Tenure is a 60-40 mix of owners and renters.<br /><br /><br />you can also select "city report", which will take you here:<br /><br /> http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/citysnap.html?NETSCAPE_LIVEWIRE.src=realtor2