I need a starter but what one?

f_inscreenname

Commander
I need a starter and have no clue which one. The one I have now will not engage the flywheel.
Background;
1986 MerCruiser, 454, MIE 340. It was a inboard originally.
I stopped by a junkyard today and picked up ?staggered bolt pattern? starter for a 454. Probably a lot newer then 1986. Don?t get bent over the junkyard thing. Its just for getting it starter in the driveway.
The MerCruiser tag on the motor is B-6068902 and it has a 14? flywheel.
The starter I have now has 9 tooth gear if it matters and I never did have the original starter.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I need a starter but what one?

I'd go with 1 like This;.........
ce_1_b.JPG

Being Gear Reduction,... It's Sealed by design,......

A quick search on ebay turned this picture up,.... They'll work on Any Chevy V8,....

I put 1 like it, but not Chrome on my 4.3l last year.....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The new Merc pn is 50-808011A4.
As long as your new starter crosses to that number, you should be good to go.

f_inscreenname

Commander

I'd go with 1 like This;.........
ce_1_b.JPG

Being Gear Reduction,... It's Sealed by design,......

A quick search on ebay turned this picture up,.... They'll work on Any Chevy V8,....

I put 1 like it, but not Chrome on my 4.3l last year.....

I'm not so sure. Does it adjust back and forth to set the depth of how far the drive gear goes in to contact the flywheel?

Also I just looked at the one you listed Don and it doesn't look any different then the one that I have. I was thinking it was a long snout or something?

Bondo

Staff member

Here's a C&P,.......

"SBC / BBC Chevy fits both size flywheels. Rather than list all the Chevy engines, we can just say it's fits all of them prior to 99 Gen III. Tilton Style High Torque Gear Reduction Starter Motors turn the engine over at a higher rate than the stock starters. Producing much more cranking power. These starter motors also feature an offset design resulting in better clearance between the oil pan and the starter. The face plate is adjustable."

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure about the snout, that is the NEW number from dealer parts program. I think the same starter is used for the V6, so it's nothing special. I could see a long snout if it was bolted on from the back, but under the engine in the normal location is nothing special.
I really think you should get that starter Bondo posted. That chrome/polished alum. will look good on that black engine.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You need the staggered bolt starter. It mounts on the block in the bolt holes that we discussed in one of your earlier threads.

BTW you have a PM.

454StarterBoltPattern01.jpg

f_inscreenname

Commander

Now I am really confused.
iboats has this one listed.
18-5603 Starter

Replaces OEM part #

INDMAR 573001
MARINE POWER 0170-000
PLEASURECRAFT RA122009
MERCRUISER 50-808011A4
18-5603.jpg

and then I just saw this one. I have one like it now.

Starter Motor 50-863007A1 for $283.35
Delco PG260 F1, 9 tooth pinion bottom mount, offset bolt pattern
807904a1.jpg

If it is the first one I have no way to install it now that I have a Volvo bellhousing.
Please tell me they did not use a different flywheel for a inboard and a I/O????

f_inscreenname

Commander

I Have to ask just so I can read it.
Is there any difference in flywheels used on a inboard and a I/O?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Well,....... I just went to Mercruiser Parts Express for you,....

The I/O Flywheel part # for a 1986 vintage is 23D-6540.......
The I/B Flywheel part # for a 1986 vintage is 23D-5534....... And is listed as N/A.....

I Don't Know What the Difference is,......
But,......
That Sucks..........

f_inscreenname

Commander

Would not be the first time I had a issue with a flywheel (why I came to iboats in the first place). I have to find whats up with the two of them before I go any further.

Bondo

Staff member

My Only Guess is that the Inboard might use a Top-mount, or Rear Mount Starter,+ the Ring Gear is shouldered to the Back, instead of the Front of the Flywheel...........

The Only Good Thing,......
Might be if you found someone Desperate for a N/A Inboard Flywheel...........

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Here is a pic of your flywheel that came on the motor, If you zoom in on it (hold down your Ctrl key then scroll the mouse scroll wheel) you can see that the starter ring gear IS on the wrong side of the flywheel. :redface:

2.jpg

SuperNova

Lieutenant

The correct flywheel is just a regular manual transmission flywheel for a car....painted black. Available at any parts store or new car dealer for around $100. Also summit or jegs catalog. Just get the right diameter--theres only two choices.

--
stan

f_inscreenname

Commander

It pretty gosh darn obvious now. Damn!!!!!! Of all things! And it?s the only thing that I did not buy and install before installing the motor in the boat!
Frustrated.gif

This is mine.
50wf4.jpg

One off of eBay.
047f_1.JPG

Notice the difference?
Frustrated.gif
Frustrated.gif
Frustrated.gif

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Just be sure your getting the right crankshaft bolt pattern. They changed in either 90 or 92 (can't remember which year). These and newer will not work.

Destin

Seaman

If all you need is the starter gear on the other side of the flywheel, just take it to a machine shop. They can press it off and press it on the other side. I'm guessing about 30-35 dollars these days.

f_inscreenname

Commander

If all you need is the starter gear on the other side of the flywheel, just take it to a machine shop. They can press it off and press it on the other side. I'm guessing about 30-35 dollars these days.
I thought of that but I'm not sure if the inside was cut for the ring gear or not. Now that the motor is in the boat I really cant leave it hanging on the hoist for days to wait for them either (they are busy in spring). Also when I pick the motor up I would like to have a replacement flywheel ready to go.
I figured there would be more issues then there has been so its a small price to pay.​

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

My Guess is that the flywheel Is different,+ I Doubt you Could Swap the ring gear to the otherside....
Hence the Different Part #s.....

If it Was that Easy,...... You Don't Need a Machineshop to do it,.....
The ring gear is driven Off with a Punch,.....
Then the ring gear is Heated in your Oven to 350*/400*, then is just Drops onto the flange......

But,...Like I said,..... I'm Guessing they're different......